Where To Get Sand For Goldies

paw-paw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

I just wanted to know where you could get cheap sand for goldfish in UK. I don't want sand that compacts too much (not too small). I know goldies like to dig thru sand so compacting shouldn't be that much of an issue anyway...Oh and maybe it would be great if it was a bit darker sand (but natural)
So which brand of sand do you use and where did you buy it (price?). Oh - around andover and london.

Thanks

Oh cheap sand I know about is B&Qs and Argos. Although its likely to stay cloudy if they keep digging through. Specially designed fish tank sand is usually the grain size of sugar so you dont get than problem, the sand just falls back down instantly.

If you clean the play sand well then it won't go cloudy.

I fill 1/3 of a bucket with the sand, spray in water using a jet extension while stirring the sand with my other hand to 2/3 full, then pour out all of the water.

If you do this 3 times with B&Q play sand then it will settle in the tank and won't go scummy if dug up. If you do it 5 times then the water you pour away on the 6th fill up to 2/3 will be completely clear.

So yeah, just go to B&Q or argos to get it.

If you clean the play sand well then it won't go cloudy.

I fill 1/3 of a bucket with the sand, spray in water using a jet extension while stirring the sand with my other hand to 2/3 full, then pour out all of the water.

If you do this 3 times with B&Q play sand then it will settle in the tank and won't go scummy if dug up. If you do it 5 times then the water you pour away on the 6th fill up to 2/3 will be completely clear.

So yeah, just go to B&Q or argos to get it.
yes, i would get argos play sand

Most reactions

Back