Where to buy ammonia

Def

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hell is currently reviewing my application for res
Thought I'd start this thread as lots of people (including me) have this problem. Personally I've only done fishless cycling when I need to get a tank running really quickly but lots of people do it, so YMMV. Anyway it's really hard to get hold of ammonia in the UK, so if you know where to buy some put the name & location/address of the shop here (kinda like the fish shop directory).

I'll start with: Birmingham, Harborne, small hardware & furniture shop opposite the Court Oak pub and next to the park sells Jeyes household ammonia bottles.

Follow-on question, anyone know if Jeyes Household ammonia is safe for aquariums? It says "Contains Ammonia" (duh) and nothing else, but there is no comprehensive ingredient list.

Next!

Edit: oh, and most importantly, I'm not a Brummie, I'm a Londoner. Let's get that absolutely clear :D

I've heard of people using Jeye's to fishless cycle. in fact on these grounds i recommend it to people, so i certainly hope it's safe. :/ I read the bottle of some and it looked ok to me. I found some at Jacks Hardware, Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton, Leeds.

ummm you want amonia for a cycle right? Well i've herd of people just urinating in the tank then doing a water change.

*but* asda does have a doorbell by the eggs that mkes a chicken noise :)

if you're desperate enough to urinate in your tank you might as well go all the way and use cat pee instead, it has a higher concentration of ammonia that human pee.

you cna if you're doing a fishLESS cycle and you do vast amounts of water changes afterwards...I think :unsure:

it might be ok, aslong as you can stand the smell, and you change all the water...twice...maybe even three or four times(just to make sure) before adding fish.

Don't pee in your tank, and if you're so desperate for ammonia go to your local grocery store or super market, you will find ammonia in the detergent section... if that also don't work go your lfs and buy a few feeder fish.

for the umpteenth time :rolleyes: in the UK you cannot get ammonia in grocery stores or supermarkets, it is very obscure, subject to all sorts of restrictions and often impossible to find.

Actually, when I was setting up my new tank I left an open gravel bag on the floor whilst I rinsed one bucketload..... and both my cats pee'd in it. I did rinse it a LOT before I put it in....

I used gravel and filter media from the old tank, but have to say no ammonia or nitrate spikes, everything settled in very quickly and without any trouble at all. Don't know if that was the cat pee or not!!! :rofl:

I couldn't find any ammonia near me at all so I just used two pinches of ground up flake every day when i did fishless cycling on the first tank. It may take slightly longer to start up, but it works okay.

Sarah

PS - there is a thread in here somewhere about starting the fishless cycle by urinating in the tank....

Most reactions

Back