Where have my ghost shrimp gone??

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sarahndipity

Reaction score
Hello. I've had my 60 litre fresh water tropical tank for I think about three years now so it's still established. I recently added some ghost shrimp for the first time as a way to tackle the algae. I already have a few platys, cherry barbs albino corydora, and a few cardinals. I introduced the shrimp and went away to let them settle. Only when I came back, I can't see a single one anywhere! I do have plants and wood in the tank but surely out of five of them I would spot the odd one. As far as I knew, none of the above listed fish eat shrimp, and I told the aquarium staff what else I had before I bought them. Could they really be that good at hiding? Or could my greedy Cory Dora have scoffed em?? Or am I actually just going mad... ? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think you are going to need to plant yourself in front of your tank for a good 30min and look on the undersides of leaves and in crevices etc... Ghost shrimp are pretty hard to see in my opinion, and then when they have hiding places and plants I'm not surprised that they would take advantage of them! :)

I think you are going to need to plant yourself in front of your tank for a good 30min and look on the undersides of leaves and in crevices etc... Ghost shrimp are pretty hard to see in my opinion, and then when they have hiding places and plants I'm not surprised that they would take advantage of them! :)
I spotted one! Finally, after their light went off for the night, maybe they prefer it off. He was the biggest of them so I figured if he could hide that well, I've little chance of spotting the smaller ones. Thanks mcordelia.

Yay!!!! I'm sure as they get more comfortable with the environment they will start to be more active as well :) very cool, I'm contemplating trying out shrimp in my 20 gallon, I've never had them before but have always been interested/curious about them!

Yay!!!! I'm sure as they get more comfortable with the environment they will start to be more active as well :) very cool, I'm contemplating trying out shrimp in my 20 gallon, I've never had them before but have always been interested/curious about them!
They are quite cute (when you can actually see them!) and I'm hoping they will help stay on top on the algae growth in my tank.

Most reactions

Back