Where Do You Guys Find Cheap Tank Decor?

Ogrt48

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank is really bare inside, just sand and fish. I'm broke so I can't really buy things at the pet store to put in my tank, then again they little fake wood, rocks, fake plants, etc are really expensive sorta.$15 + for wood or a rock, $5+ for small fake plants. Anyone know where to get them cheap? =\

DIY stores are a good source of rocks - granite is ok but I don't know what is available in your locality.
Go & have a look & if you tell us the types before you purchase any someone should know if it is tank safe.

If you need quick shelter for your fish you could add a couple of (new) terracotta plant pots.

Do you have any slate or petrified wood? You can use that in your tank, as long as there's no sharp edges. Also see The-Wolf's threads on different rocks and woods. Also if you have enough lighting, I recommend hardy plants.

Be aware of what different rocks and objects can do to your parameters though. e.g. Limestone: alkali!

Be aware of what different rocks and objects can do to your parameters though. e.g. Limestone: alkali!

I want some fake plants but they're a rip off here. The small ones start at about $4.00 each and larger ones upto $15. It's gonna take a ton of plants in my 55g so its gonna cost way too much =[

How about real, live, hardy plants? Check the plant section here. I've seen some live plants for sale for only $2-3 each myself.

How about real, live, hardy plants? Check the plant section here. I've seen some live plants for sale for only $2-3 each myself.

I'm pretty sure my cichlids would make lunch out of them though. >.<

I'm pretty sure my cichlids would make lunch out of them though. >.<

Doh! Cichlids, huh? I guess the safest bet is rocks and driftwood. Well I did see bags of palm-sized river rocks at the garden center in Lowe's. I don't know how much it was selling for though. Like diademhill said, you can use terracotta and clay pots; there's also PVC pipes, coconut shells, and seashells.

Head to a park or stream and find some goodies abosuletly free! Just make sure they are super clean before putting them in your tank

Head to a park or stream and find some goodies abosuletly free! Just make sure they are super clean before putting them in your tank

We have some lakes here, what items are safe to take from them and to put into a fish tank?

Most reactions

Back