When To Release Platy Fry?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darthaus12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 4, five day old platy fry living in a breeding box. I wanted to know when I should release them into my main 10 gallon. Any suggestions?

Be careful with breeding boxes--they're death traps!
As to your question: anytime they don't fit in their tankmates' mouths anymore is a good bet.
tongue2.gif

But the fry will likely be better off if you put tons of a floating plant like Elodea or Hornwort in the main tank and release them now. Very likely at least one will survive, depending on their tankmates' size and voracity.
Congrats on your babies! 
yahoo.gif
wub.png
We'll be expecting some pics!

My babies are fine in the box. I'll post pics sometime within the next few days.

i raise my guppy fry in breeder nets all the time (boxes are probably fine too).  I'd keep them in there for 3-4 weeks max. by a month they should be safe from their parents. :)

All right! Grats!
I'd be careful, there, though. I don't know if anyone else cares to back me up on this, but I have lost many fry due to plastic breeding boxes. They can get stuck in the small holes, and the hard boxes don't allow enough water circulation. I've heard a breeding net is much safer than a box, but personally, after a few attempts with the box, I gave up taking my babies out of the main tank. Lots survived anyway. That said, I do plan to get a net so I can breed my cories, but I will never again touch a breeder box, I can guarantee you that!
You didn't say what other fish are in your 10 gallon, but I'm guessing only small fish, so depending on the quality and amount of food they receive and the size of the container they are raised in, they should be safe by 1-2 months of age.
Good luck with your babies!
good.gif

<offtopic>Yay, my 101st post!</offtopic>
Sorry, couldn't resist.
tongue2.gif

I clean my box every two days.
I feel bad for them cause the mother died the day after birth... :(

Most reactions

Back