When should I replace my betta's food?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had the same pellets for around 6 months and I've heard that it's best to replace food around that time. I still have a lot left though, should I just replace it?

I've had the same pellets for around 6 months and I've heard that it's best to replace food around that time. I still have a lot left though, should I just replace it?
if you do decide to replace it I would go for some frozen mosquito larva. ITs close to what they eat in the real world.

There should be an expiration date on the container. I would think it would be ok for awhile longer.
I usually would put an amount I would use in a few months in a small container for feeding the fish and then I freeze the rest of the container. It will stay fresh much longer that way.

There should be an expiration date on the container. I would think it would be ok for awhile longer.
I usually would put an amount I would use in a few months in a small container for feeding the fish and then I freeze the rest of the container. It will stay fresh much longer that way.
the expiration just passed on my fish flakes. Do I need to replace them?

If the flakes still smell fresh, then it would probably be ok awhile longer. Follow my above advice in the future.

I’m using Zoo Med Betta micro floating pellets. It’s about 9 months old. The expiration date was on the exterior packaging which I didn‘t have since I purchased a second hand setup. Called the manufacturer & they said it’s good for 3 years.

It is preferable to use dry fish foods within 1 month of being opened. They absorb moisture from the air and start to go off. In humid environments they can grow mould and fungus and make the fish sick.

If you have a lot of fish food, put it in airtight bags (ziplock bag) with a moisture absorbing pack, and remove the air from the bag. Seal it up and put it in a second airtight bag that is sealed. then put it in the freezer. It will last a lot longer frozen and shouldn't go off.

Try to feed your fish a variety of foods including dry, frozen and live. :)

Most reactions

Back