What's Wrong With My Snails' Shells?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DreamerHorse

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I got two snails from Walmart (I know, not the best place to buy). They are acting fine, eating and climbing he tank. But their shells are really roughed up. They have a few cracks, lots of white spots. I'm wondering if this is a lack of calcium? They were like this when I bought them. I got a cuttlebone wedged in the tank for calcium and I got an iceburg lettuce to feed them. I also have algae wafers and various fish food (betta pellets, flakes, bloodworms, shrimp, and some treats).

There isn't any spinach or cucumbers in season, so can someone suggest some foods that are high in calcium and in season? It would be much appreciated. Will the cracks in their shells heal? How long until their shells look better?

Attachments

• DSC04945_20140204155504592.jpg
    DSC04945_20140204155504592.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 85
Add a vacation feeder? I think they are mainly calcium.
I don't know if it would be safe for an aquarium... but they sell calcium to sprinkle on reptiles food. You might look into it?

Calcium deficiency 

You can buy blocks that are for turtle tanks, they release calcium. Or you can buy liquid calcium (it is for saltwater tanks), this is what i used to use.

I've been using a cuttlebone (as mentioned). I'll look into other options, but I'm stuck with Walmart. What veggies are in season that have calcium? Are canned veggies okay? My mom has some canned green beans, but I don't know how to prepare it for them.

They didn't show much preference for the lettuce I put in there, so I took it out.

They sell those vacation feeders at Walmart.

Spinach and collard greens are veggies with a lot of calcium.

Thanks for those links! Very helpful. I'll try and get a few of those shell blocks for my tank since they are so cheap. :D

I'll try and get some spinach tommorow if the weather let's up (it's been snowing hard).

I hope your snails get better!
All we get is rain.....

So do I. I've seen some photos of snails with really pretty shells.

Btw, do you think the cuttlebone will do much good for their shells?

A little update...

One of the snails is growing in a healthy layer of shell. It's a gorgeous brown/tan color. You can see it in the photo I've attached below. The other snail is getting regrowth as well, but not as much. Currently the snail is sleeping under some plants, so photo later.

Also, I took the cuttlebone out for a few minutes and noticed a handful of small grooves that looked like something carved into the cuttlebone? Possibly the snails grazing on it? How much will it help if the snails are grazing on the cuttlebone?

Attachments

• DSC04983.jpg
    DSC04983.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 78
I got some collard greens and broccoli. How would I go about preparing it? Can I freeze it to last longer?

Yeah. What you don't put in now can go to the freezer.
Not sure about this, but I think you boil it for a few seconds. Wait for it to cool off and put it in?
Or I think you can just wash it really and put it in if you have a way to weigh it down?
Hopefully someone will have a better answer than that! Lol.

I have an unblanched and blanched (microwaved for one minute thirty seconds in a mug of water) piece in there, the snails aren't paying either any attention. I moved both on the blanched piece so we'll see.

I'm weighing them down with two seashells (no sharp edges).

EDIT: both have moved off it and not touched it. Disappointing.

Do you think they'll eat it later in the night? They've been nibbling on the plants so they must be hungry.

Most reactions

Back