Whats wrong with my shrimp and what can I do about it

Rosyannie

Reaction score
While on holiday a relative came in a fed my fish, on my return the tank was in a mess, I think she way overfed, despite going through everything with her. I did an immediate water change and the next day parameters were fine. I've now noticed one of my Amano shrimp has a stark white patch just behind its head and there is a lighter strip running down its back. It's eating well and moving around but I'm really worried its got the start of muscular necrosis. I don't have a spare tank to quarantine and I really don't know what to do. I've read that regular water changes can help, but is that daily? Any advice please? I tried taking a pic but its not very clear. I have 4 shrimp in total.

Attachments

• 20221019_212842.jpg
    20221019_212842.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221019_212951.jpg
    20221019_212951.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 40
Could be the beginnings of the "white ring of death"

Maybe he's a male shrimp and getting ready to mate? I sure wish I could keep a shrimp this size longer than 5 minutes in my tanks

Maybe he's a male shrimp and getting ready to mate? I sure wish I could keep a shrimp this size longer than 5 minutes in my tanks
The shrimp in the above pics is female.

Shrimp don't last long in tanks with large predatory fish.

Is it not the beginning of a saddle? I can't say I've really noticed when my amanos are saddled, but the females often are carrying eggs, and certainly with neocaridina it begins with a saddle before she carries the eggs beneath her.

Is it not the beginning of a saddle? I can't say I've really noticed when my amanos are saddled, but the females often are carrying eggs, and certainly with neocaridina it begins with a saddle before she carries the eggs beneath her.
It appears to me that the white area extends far below where "saddling" usually takes place...I'm fairly certain it's a failure to molt completely

Sometimes, as stated in the above article, the molting does complete after a while...we haven't heard back from the OP, so not sure about the fate of the shrimp...if it is the WROD, death is usually certain, unfortunately

Most reactions

Back