Whats wrong with my fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cait07

Reaction score
I have 6 rummy nose tetras in my tank and one seems bloated ive tried numerous water changes now and i know its not over feeding. Anyone have any knowledge?

Attachments

• 73F2A950-494F-49C9-A45C-6265C48C56A8.jpeg
    73F2A950-494F-49C9-A45C-6265C48C56A8.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 881F15CC-2058-421B-BB90-D2D4EED41238.jpeg
    881F15CC-2058-421B-BB90-D2D4EED41238.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 76
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I have very little experience with fish disease (fortunately) and I willnever guess. Other members like @Colin_T or @Deanasue or @essjay will be able to offer advice on the specific issue.

But the green tint to the water and the green algae on the substrate suggests there may bee water condition issues, and these can stress fish making them more susceptible to any disease. Can you post numbers for tests like ammonia, nitrite, especially nitrate, and what is the GH (general hardness) and pH? This data will help the other members too.

Rummy nose should be in a larger group, but let's get this issue resolved before that...and we need to know the tank size (volume and dimensions) going forward.

How long did it take to get that fat?

It's either a tumour or cyst or internal bacterial infection.

Tumours and cysts take a month or more to grow that big. The fish will normally keep eating while these grow. Eventually the fish dies.

Internal bacterial infections cause the fish to swell up overnight and the fish normally stops eating and dies a few days later.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I have very little experience with fish disease (fortunately) and I willnever guess. Other members like @Colin_T or @Deanasue or @essjay will be able to offer advice on the specific issue.

But the green tint to the water and the green algae on the substrate suggests there may bee water condition issues, and these can stress fish making them more susceptible to any disease. Can you post numbers for tests like ammonia, nitrite, especially nitrate, and what is the GH (general hardness) and pH? This data will help the other members too.

Rummy nose should be in a larger group, but let's get this issue resolved before that...and we need to know the tank size (volume and dimensions) going forward.

Tumours and cysts take a month or more to grow that big. The fish will normally keep eating while these grow. Eventually the fish dies.

Internal bacterial infections cause the fish to swell up overnight and the fish normally stops eating and dies a few days later.
probably over the past 5 days ive noticed it and some fish are now ‘tilted’ such as 3 cardinal tetras and 2 other neons. I am unable to get any ph or gh numbers

probably over the past 5 days ive noticed it and some fish are now ‘tilted’ such as 3 cardinal tetras and 2 other neons. I am unable to get any ph or gh numbers

The GH and pH of your source (tap) water would help, you may find these on the site of your municipal water authority.

It's not caused by water quality but if you have concerns about water quality, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two. This will dilute any nutrients and disease organisms that might be in the water and reduce the chance of other fish getting sick.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

It's not caused by water quality but if you have concerns about water quality, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two. This will dilute any nutrients and disease organisms that might be in the water and reduce the chance of other fish getting sick.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
okay i live in the uk anyway so all the water is regulated properly unlike most countries, anyone know what i should do next i did a 20% water change today.

Check your nitrates because a lot of the UK members on this forum often have high nitrates in their water supply. High nitrates can stress fish and weaken them, and allow other health issues to occur.

You want nitrates to be less than 20ppm.

Check your nitrates because a lot of the UK members on this forum often have high nitrates in their water supply. High nitrates can stress fish and weaken them, and allow other health issues to occur.

You want nitrates to be less than 20ppm.
how would i do this ?

You can buy a nitrate test kit from any pet shop or online. Alternatively, take a glass of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. However, you might have to wait until the virus ban has been lifted before you can get out and about.

Look on your water company's website for the water quality report. Nitrate is usually listed in there. It won't tell your tank nitrate but it will tell you how much is in your tap water, which is a good starting point.

okay so i did a big water change and everything is clear minus a few annoying leaves. although 2 fish concern me

Did you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

Did you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.
yeah i did and i have a big sponge filter that does that i cant get anything rlse what with lock down

Most reactions

Back