What's this floaty stuff that looks like dust or fibers?

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI all

Lately I have had this mystery-stuff floating all through Plant Test Tank #1. It looks like very small uniform fibers, like from velvet, or even dust of some kind. It does not collect on the surface, it circulates all around the tank with the current.

Yesterday I cleaned the sponge filter and changed about half the water. This morning, I go to switch on the light, and there it all is, possibly even worse than yesterday!

I decided to put on my makeshift lid and boost the air to the filter. But so far, instead of pulling in the stuff, it is all still just circulating around the tank.

I'll get a video or photo later today, but I don't understand why a sponge filter in a small tank doesn't handle whatever the stuff is!

Sounds like a possible diatom bloom. Very normal in young tanks, especially within the first year of being setup. It will eventually go away on its own, it just sucks lol

So I just got home and took a peek at the tank. All those floaties are GONE! Did the filter do its job with just a bit more air?? There has to be more to this...

Good thing I grabbed a super quick video before I left this morning!

Yeah looks like a diatom bloom, can even see some on your glass

It looks like a Seed Shrimps explosion 💥 These little critters often comes with Cherry Shrimps.

But you would need to keep the camera static so we can see them move.

I'm pretty sure I can see they are swimming. But you don't remain stable long enough for certitude.

They multiply a lot and becomes more active and swim freely when you stir the filter.

You do have some diatoms, but that isn't what the little white flecks are. They look to me like something alive, maybe copepods or some kind of worms. If you turn off your filter, do the little white flecks move around on their own power?

Most reactions

Back