What's The Best Way To

there are lots of products around which lower your ph but youve got to do it slowly here are lots of products
here

The best way is with R/O water, peat and some bogwood. It'll go slow and easy on the fish. Just add some kind of buffer to the water to keep the pH stable and you'll be okay.

is that "Bullseye 7.0" product any good at keeping the PH around 7? It sounds like it must have some kind of "buffer" in it. Here is a link to it for some info:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/bullseye7016oz.html

I used it once a few months ago, but have not in a long time since people keep saying here not to mess with PH. Anyone have an opinion on this product?

there are lots of products around which lower your ph but youve got to do it slowly here are lots of products
here

None of those are recommended to be honest. Start messing with your PH with chemicals and you're really dicing with death.

Bogwood and peat are recommended for lowering PH.

I wouldn't recomend it. I would try natural ways such as bogwood or peat. Even a seasonal experiance aquarist would not touch it with meds.

Turning your pH down - from what to what (meaning what is it now and what do you wish to attain ?) - and more importantly, why ?

right now its arround 7 .2 or something i want is to be lower arround 6.2

im gonan need help witht he peat thing too, where do you get it from?? and do you stick in filter i guess. I must lower my pH, as 8.2 is way to high for an fish i will add.

I am also setting up an aqarium and have the same question about lowering ym pH

dreworz5, what fish do you plan to keep? Many of us in London sit with a similar pH and our community fish do fine. The only fish I do not have success with (and hence do not keep) are neons, cardinals & rams.
You can buy peat (moss) from garden centres or your lfs. It will of course make your water very yellow / brown.

im gonan need help witht he peat thing too, where do you get it from?? and do you stick in filter i guess. I must lower my pH, as 8.2 is way to high for an fish i will add.

I am also setting up an aqarium and have the same question about lowering ym pH

If your fish are doing fine, then don't worry about the pH unless you intend to breed them though a pH of 8+ is high so I can see why you'd want to drop it. Using R/O water is the best way to drop pH from that level but don't use it exclusively. Cut it with tap water, mixing in more tap than R/O so as to do it gradually.

Peat is from peat bogs which are basically very dense swamps that retard the ability of bacteria to grow and also are good at preserving organisms. All of this leads to an extremely acidic condition which is what a lower pH means. I believe peat bogs can be as low as 5 on the pH scale.

Most reactions

Back