What's The Best Food For Guppies?

jenni8888

Reaction score
Hi, there is such a variety of flake food available in the UK that I am unsure which would be the best for guppies. I am also going to get them frozen micro bloodworms and brine shrimp as treats, but need a staple food - any recommendations?

Also is it worth freezing the flakes once the pot is opened to keep the nutrients in the food (I found this on a site, just wondered if it actually is a good thing to do)

many thanks people :D

Hi, there is such a variety of flake food available in the UK that I am unsure which would be the best for guppies. I am also going to get them frozen micro bloodworms and brine shrimp as treats, but need a staple food - any recommendations?

Also is it worth freezing the flakes once the pot is opened to keep the nutrients in the food (I found this on a site, just wondered if it actually is a good thing to do)

many thanks people :D
Try tetramin flakes. I never fed that to guppies but to swordtails.
Guppies should eat them gladly too. Only thing that I'm worried about is the sugar in them.

My guppies like their TetraMin flakes and eat them up just fine. I don't think that freezing would help, but you could always try it! :good:

There is no such thing as a best food. I use Ken's tropical flakes for most of my fish but even then mix lots of different flakes to make up the fish diets. I also feed plenty of frozen foods and do not hesitate to feed any bugs that I find around my home. Lately, with the advent of warmer weather, that means my fish are getting the ants I find searching for food in my home. This seems to happen every spring and the fish all enjoy a treat of live foods. In a couple more months, all will be enjoying some mosquito larvae.

There is no such thing as a best food. I use Ken's tropical flakes for most of my fish but even then mix lots of different flakes to make up the fish diets. I also feed plenty of frozen foods and do not hesitate to feed any bugs that I find around my home. Lately, with the advent of warmer weather, that means my fish are getting the ants I find searching for food in my home. This seems to happen every spring and the fish all enjoy a treat of live foods. In a couple more months, all will be enjoying some mosquito larvae.
I had no idea ants could be fed to fish... I happen to have an invasion of these in my kitchen, and I can't / don't want to kill them as they clean away the bread crumbs that might fall on the floor. Though I'd hesitate to feed them to the fish, as they might have walked through some nasty areas of the kitchen.

Mosquito larvae: my turtle pool might get some of them if the turtle doesn't go in it for a while and I leave the water sitting.

Almost any tiny bug can be fed to your fish. Many fish in the wild live on the chance introduction of various types of insects to their environments. I would not try to use an ant culture as the sole source of food, but it serves well as a treat for my fish. I squish the ants with a finger tip and brush off my finger into the tanks.

Most reactions

Back