Whats Happened To My Cycle

scotty

Fish Herder
Reaction score
my cycle was going great up until 4 days ago,i was on the last day of my qualifying week,then all of a sudden ammonia levels started sticking around 0.50,not done anything different,so for last 4 days ammonia levels have been sticking,should i do a 90% waterchange?

can't hurt can it?

I had an ammonia sticking problem towards the end of my cycle and did a %100 water change (was fishless cycling obviously) and it started shifting the ammonia almost as soon as i'd changed the water and dosed it back up to 4ppm.

well just done a complete waterchange to see if that makes a difference,but this has got me totally confused now,used my water treatment before i put the water in,filled it with water,put 4ppm ammonia in,then i go and check my ph again and it's shot up to 8.4,what has caused this?can it be the water treatment,the ph out of the tap is 7.4,so i have no idea how it has shot up so much :sad:

Hi Scotty, dont worry, 8.4 was advised to me as within optimum range. So its ok. and the ammonia may have increased it.

You have to make sure it doesn't rop as low as pH6 as this can cause your cycle to stall as bacteria cant multiply or process ammonia/nitrites at that low a pH

Most reactions

Back