What Would Make A Good And Hardy Community Tank?

Marclau

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This time round, and once my tank has cycled, I am thinking (as per the wifes suggestion) to only have 4 or 5 different types of hardy fish......

I was thinking of both Black (red fin) sharks & silver sharks, together with angels and gouramis........

Any other type of fishies I could add that would work with this community tank??

thanks in advance....

PS Iw as thinking of Electric Blues and Yellows but was told on the forums that these are very aggressive fish once they get larger.........

you wont be able to mix to types of sharks without having WWIII on your hands. and still it depends on tank size as to what is suitable.

electric blues and yellows are malawi cichlids so are not compatible (if thats what you mean)

Thanks Truck,

But my last community tank had both type of sharks and they got on fine............never any issues.........

As for the blues and yellows, a very reputable fish store in Melbourne has been setting up large tanks with these fish without any problems....
In fact, he mentioned that he had them for a couple of years without increasing water qualities, salts etc......

Not sure if this is all right as I'm only back into it for 2 years but the fish seemed large healthy and living peacefully in the tank..........
Now this is a big store that I visit once a fortnight over the past 2 years and have always admired this tank hence drawing my attention to it..........

Thanks Truck,

But my last community tank had both type of sharks and they got on fine............never any issues.........

As for the blues and yellows, a very reputable fish store in Melbourne has been setting up large tanks with these fish without any problems....
In fact, he mentioned that he had them for a couple of years without increasing water qualities, salts etc......

Not sure if this is all right as I'm only back into it for 2 years but the fish seemed large healthy and living peacefully in the tank..........
Now this is a big store that I visit once a fortnight over the past 2 years and have always admired this tank hence drawing my attention to it..........
salts? can you confirm the electric blue and yellow species please. because i think hes trying to sell you a marine fish

Conditioning salts i think he was telling me...also made mention of adding in some white rocks which would add something to my water............nope they were Malawi Yellows and Blues........unfortunately, i was'nt listening too much cuase i'm not ready to be for a while..........

Hi is this for your 59G in your Sig?

if so then i'm afraid that the silver sharks will outgrow the tank,
Also as said if the Blues and yellows are mbuna cichlids then these will get too aggressive to be kept with silver sharks, (which are skittish at the best of times) Angels and Gouramis.

Conditioning salts i think he was telling me...also made mention of adding in some white rocks which would add something to my water............nope they were Malawi Yellows and Blues........unfortunately, i was'nt listening too much cuase i'm not ready to be for a while..........
theyre not suitable

I'm presuming the white rocks were a crushed coral or similar which will buffer the ph, (increasing it so that it is suitable for malawis),
This will not be good for the Angels that prefer a much lower ph.

O'K I'll cross the Malawi's of the list..........

As for the sharks, I understand..........silver and black dont get on from what your saying........but I'm surprised that the silver will outgrow my tank......
I thought they get to around 20cm and the black get around 15cm.......??

Ummm, so then I'm left with Angels, Gouramis and now only Black sharks.........
So, back to my original question, what others could I add??

O'K I'll cross the Malawi's of the list..........

As for the sharks, I understand..........silver and black dont get on from what your saying........but I'm surprised that the silver will outgrow my tank......
I thought they get to around 20cm and the black get around 15cm.......??

Ummm, so then I'm left with Angels, Gouramis and now only Black sharks.........
So, back to my original question, what others could I add??

Silver sharks should be reaching upto 34cm, - a very nice alternative would be Torpedo barbs (if you can find them)

Other tankmates could be Bolivian Rams, Rainbow Cichlids, Keyholes, Silver Dollars, Pictus, Rainbows, Swordtails, Golden Panchax

Yes, was considering Swordtails again but read somewhere that any 'livebreeders' are'nt really hardy...........and Silver Dollars require a bit more looking after and tough plants............

As for Torp Barbs, are they like Tiger Barbs?? Reason I ask is that they occassionaly hassled my Swordtails and fin nippedmy Gouramis........

Yes, was considering Swordtails again but read somewhere that any 'livebreeders' are'nt really hardy...........and Silver Dollars require a bit more looking after and tough plants............

As for Torp Barbs, are they like Tiger Barbs?? Reason I ask is that they occassionaly hassled my Swordtails and fin nippedmy Gouramis........

no torpedo barbs are nothing like tigers, they are a quick streamlined fish that get to about 15cm and are usually quite peaceful

Most reactions

Back