What wood is this.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,
Just going through some of the stuff I have, and I’m wondering what wood this is it’s been used a year ago but unsure what it is and the back has some purple bits in? Unsure what that is too but would it be safe to use on a new fresh setup also does this sink and produce tannings?

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4939.jpeg
    IMG_4939.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 25
Looks like Mopani wood to me

Hello. I'd go along with Mopani wood. Tannic acid will leach out of this type of wood for quite some time. But, you can use it right away and simply change out the tank water frequently, which you should be doing anyway. Small pieces won't change the color of the tank water too much. In time, the amber color will fade. But, it will take some time.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. I'd go along with Mopani wood. Tannic acid will leach out of this type of wood for quite some time. But, you can use it right away and simply change out the tank water frequently, which you should be doing anyway. Small pieces won't change the color of the tank water too much. In time, the amber color will fade. But, it will take some time.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Perfect thank you, I also have some Dragon stone that came out of a tank with some bad BBA. How can I go about cleaning these rocks so all BBA spores are dead to re use in a new fresh tank.

Hello Metta. The best way to remove algae from whatever it has attached itself to is to remove the piece and leave it out in the sun to dry. After a day or two the algae drys up and can easily be removed with a small brush. That's what works the best for me.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Last edited:
Hello Metta. The best way to remove algae from whatever it has attached itself to is to remove the piece and leave it out in the sun to dry. After a day or two the algae drys up and can easily removed with a small brush. That's what works the best for me.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Awesome thanks for your input. Best get things moving :)

Most reactions

Back