What Water

Heyfool

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the view is on using partial RO for a Malawi tank.

I have access to RO water and was wondering about mixing RO with tap water my pH out of the tap is high 8's and it has 20ppm Nitrate just thinking that a mix of RO may help keep Nitrate down.

I haven't set up the tank yet but have an 8x2x2 ready to go.

using RO on a Malawi tank is counter productive. Your pH of 8 is very suitable for Malwai's and using RO will give you a neautral pH of around 7.

20ppm nitrate is nothing to worry about from the tap. Mine is somewhere near 40ppm and others have much higher levels. You only need to keep the nitrates under 20ppm if you are keeping very delicate species - an example would be a German Blue Ram. Malawi's will be fine with this level, and if you keep on top of your weekly water changes you will be able to manage the increase produced by your filter.

using RO on a Malawi tank is counter productive. Your pH of 8 is very suitable for Malwai's and using RO will give you a neautral pH of around 7.

20ppm nitrate is nothing to worry about from the tap. Mine is somewhere near 40ppm and others have much higher levels. You only need to keep the nitrates under 20ppm if you are keeping very delicate species - an example would be a German Blue Ram. Malawi's will be fine with this level, and if you keep on top of your weekly water changes you will be able to manage the increase produced by your filter.

+1

Ok thanks very much, just a thought.

My tap water is 25ppm nitrate, im glad i read this i thought it was just my area :lol:

My tap water is 25ppm nitrate, im glad i read this i thought it was just my area :lol:

Look at me under ten posts and being useful already...........if only for asking silly questions that everyone else wants the answer to as well.

Look at me under ten posts and being useful already...........if only for asking silly questions that everyone else wants the answer to as well.

don't worry about asking 'silly' questions......you don't know if they are silly or not until you ask.

Most reactions

Back