What Type Of Tank?

Raven_24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI this has been asked on a previous thread in general forum but not had much response. I'm having to remove my betta from the main com.tank as it's harrassing the life out of my BGK. He's currently in a large mesh breeding trap as I only have the one tank now (old one got broken) so have decided to just get a small tank just for him.

Only prob is I don't have a lot of cash at the moment & have been checking out ebay as there seem to be loads of them there in particular Biorbs. Not too keen on the shape of them as they remind me of old goldfish bowls but would one of them be suitable for a betta?

What's your budget all in? Inc heater, are you filtering it etc.

Aye, post your total budget. For context though-I've bought a hexagonal tank I intend to use for my betta for £5 off ebay, complete with filter and gravel etc. I've just ordered a 25w heater for £6 off the internet. The only extra costs I have (which aren't urgent) are live plants and a small light which I've not priced up yet.

If timescales an issue, post your budget and I'll have a dig about.

I need to get all the usual light, heater, pump etc might have some free gravel to pick up if the seller gets back to me on the buy & sell forum... My Budgets £35-40 max & the tanks gotta be glass I hate plastic, it loses heat alot & scratches easily.
i've got about 15 tanks I'm watching on ebay, probably going to get one of those but most of the biorbs are usually sold with the essentials anyway.

Why did no one mention the Biorbs? Take it thats not advisable??? :blink:

They seem to cost more than a normal oblong tank for no apparent reason, just the brand name I guess, though I admittedly have no experience with them myself

I've heard from some people that they distort the image of the fish quite alot.

I've heard from some people that they distort the image of the fish quite alot.

Right...I did wonder how it would look from the photos I've seen they seem to magnify the fish abit...perhaps thats what they meant...

How do you mean they seem to cost more than normal tanks? In what way?

Its a shame coz there's quite alot I'd go for but unfortunately they are pick up/collection only & too far away for me to get to myself... :grr:

i have 2 biorbs a 30L and a 60L, i paid £50 for the 30l including all the equipment,(used) and £129 for the 60L inclucinding all equipment and a led light (brand new)
i could have easily got a 4 ft or larger for the prices on ebay.but i just didnt have the room for them, i love my biorbs, they are both in my bedroom at either side of the bed, the 30L house a male betta,and the 60L has some neons and is planted, they do distort the shape/size of the fish and the fish can actually go out of veiw, but this isnt all the time, and i wouldnt part with mine for all the money in the world,as long as they are sensibly stocked, there should be no problems,and for a betta on his own i recomend them, mine is very happy, i have never had an issue with the tank or the fish since the day i put him in there, but the filters are not that good ( so others say)and there isnt much surface area, so fish have to be well reaserched before adding them to ensure they are suited. no bottom dwellers ie,cories.loaches. but yes i would say go ahead and grab one, they are often on ebay in your area, i know, as i get dissapointed as i cant get to them over there :crazy: you could try the adverts that come up on the bottom of the pages on ebay,as i have ofteb searched these and come up with some bargains, and most of them offer free next day delivery, but if you go to pets at home or acorn or such like, get an idea of the price they sell for then you will know what NOT to pay,i garantee you will get one much cheaper thjan they sell them for, or even if you have a spare heater at home( you will need a heater stand£2) ( 50W) you could go for the coldwater biorb which can be a bit cheaper again, but i would defo make sure you get one that has a light with it,as these work out to be very expensive (20-halogen,45-led) if you decide to add them later.

good luck whatever you decide to do
shelagh xxxx

get an arcadia, i think u can get ome for just over 30quid, comes with light and filter, then just buy a heater seperately, i have 2 and they are great tanks :D

Most reactions

Back