What to put in a 2.5 gallon tank

Inchworm said:
Hi Itty Bitty Betta :)

If your filter is safe, I think ADF are your best choice. If you can't find them where you live, wait awhile. I've seen them in Petland Discounts although they usually have the ACFs. (And the sales people don't seem to be able to tell the difference.) If it's like last year, frogs of both kinds were more readily available in the spring than in the rest of the year especially at the independent lfs that I go to.

The ADFs do not need heat and might even be better off in an unfiltered tank, so you might want to keep them in mind as an option for a betta tank even if it's not cycled. If the time comes that you can get them, do; they're very little work to care for and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :D
Very little work? Do they go well with bettas? What kind of care is required for an ADF?

Auratus said:
If you have to get rid of bettas to set up a 20L why are you setting up this tank? Wouldn't that just be adding to your problems?
Since afd's stay at the bottom of the tank I would get 2 since they like to be in groups and then a betta since they stay at the top! Maybe you can put a betta in that one and no one will notice and say you sold it or something....
The 2.5 will be moved to my room to make space where the 20L will go. It will be a while until I set up the 20L.

black_phantom_tetra said:
what about a two cories
I saw Panda Cories at the LFS yesterday. So cute! I was considering that.

Itty Bitty Betta said:
...Very little work? Do they go well with bettas? What kind of care is required for an ADF?

If you click on the link in my signature you will find a wealth of information about the ADFs and their larger relatives the ACFs.

These frogs are big time survivors in their native habitats. The ACFs are the frogs you may have heard about that burrow into the mud at the end of the rainy season and hibernate until it rains again. The little guys are very much like them.

If you kept 2 of them in a gallon or two of water and didn't overfeed them, you could get away with cleaning once a month if you just dip out and replace some of the water in between. This is for an unfiltered, uncycled tank or bowl.

It's best to avoid handling them any more than necessary because they have delicate little fingers that can easily be broken.

All they need is a little cave made of a few rocks with a flat rock on top or something similar. I keep mine with some fine gravel on the bottom, and a little spriggy plant when I have it. I also keep one or two pond snails in there, just for something extra. They're not needed.

Bol said:
Not trying to be mean, but I can't think of any (non-betta, at least -- you betta people can discuss that one :)) fish that should be put in that small a tank with no heater.

Shrimp, maybe? I don't know much about them.
I agree. I don't even think a betta should to be honest.

:ninja:

Itty Bitty Betta said:
what about a two cories

I thought about them but decided against suggesting them because the tank will be unheated and is just too small.

Corys are schooling fish and do need to be kept in groups, so you would need 2 or 3 at the very least. And they are susceptible to bacterial infection especially if they are subject to temperature fluctuations.

Corys are great fish to keep with bettas, though. They get along well and the corys seem to keep the bettas interested in their surroundings. They eat the same foods and there is no conflict at all between them.

When you set up your 20 gallon long (a perfect cory tank!) keep in mind that I have young C. aeneus bronze and albino, and C. sterbai (and maybe C. pandas, soon) and you are welcome to have as many of them as you would like for it. :D

Inchworm said:
Itty Bitty Betta said:
what about a two cories

I thought about them but decided against suggesting them because the tank will be unheated and is just too small.

Corys are schooling fish and do need to be kept in groups, so you would need 2 or 3 at the very least. And they are susceptible to bacterial infection especially if they are subject to temperature fluctuations.

Corys are great fish to keep with bettas, though. They get along well and the corys seem to keep the bettas interested in their surroundings. They eat the same foods and there is no conflict at all between them.

When you set up your 20 gallon long (a perfect cory tank!) keep in mind that I have young C. aeneus bronze and albino, and C. sterbai (and maybe C. pandas, soon) and you are welcome to have as many of them as you would like for it. :D
Coolies! You got dem little dwarfy ones? :)

Okay, okay....my turn! :lol:

I wouldn't keep a couple cories in anything less than a 5 gallon because they like to cruise all over the bottom and what you have just isn't big enough. If you had over 2 -3 I'd say a 10 Gal or bigger.

Everyone keeps saying that they wouldn't keep anything at all in less than a 3 gallon except a betta...?? -_- :/ What's up with that?? Is it because they don't swim much at all or what, curious here?? I think 1 single betta is WAY more fish than 5 White Cloud Tetras (size of neons but WAY easier to care for and don't need a heater). I think a few White Clouds would be good personally! :kana:

My experience with the ADF is that they are really picky eaters. I bought two of them 2 weeks ago and put them in a 3 gallon and one actually died on the way home !! :sick: :X It was floating upside down from the time the guy put it in the bag and gave it to me to all the way home. Not knowing much about them AT ALL, I thought he was just hanging out, until I got home and put him in the tank and he didn't want to move :-( . The other one lived for only 2 days....maybe it was a bad tank of frogs at the LFS but he wouldn't eat ANYTHING I fed him. I did have a mini filter in there and he seemed to actually like it. He would sit up on top with his eyeballs out of the water and he would swim around fine and all. So I don't know about the ADFs?? But you may have great luck with one or two...who knows ;)

Silver
:*

Itty Bitty Betta said:
...Coolies! You got dem little dwarfy ones? :)

If you mean the really tiny ones, C. habrosus or C. hastatus, I can only say that I wish I did. :sad: If I ever see them, however...........

But, I have pandas and they are among the smaller corys, too. The problem with them is that when they spawn they eat their eggs before I can rescue them. I think I have 2 or 3 fry, so I know that I'll be able to get more if I am quick enough. :lol:

I think they are among the classiest of the corys. Here's a link:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/267_f.php

The other really pretty ones I have are the sterbai. They have bright orange on their fins. Here's a link to them:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/316_f.php

Most reactions

Back