What To Look For While Buying Lr

gourami5

Reaction score
I am planning to buy LR locally from established tank. What should I look for in LR beside coraline algae. I don't know how to determine good quality. How to differentiate good quality LR from others?

I am planning to buy LR locally from established tank. What should I look for in LR beside coraline algae. I don't know how to determine good quality. How to differentiate good quality LR from others?
Coraline algae does not denote good LR

I would look for peices that are light for there size

Thanks, but there are lots of people selling LR from established tank (btw i was suggested to buy it from established tank rather than from fish store), how would I know who is selling good quality LR (I don't know may be the one with lots of life form visible on it are good quality rocks)? I appreciated that you are trying to save me money by going for lighter rock with good size, but I also want to get good quality rocks. Please help me if you know how to identify good quality LR.

There is no guide to "good quality" LR.

Less dense LR will have more cavities and thus better filtration, whereas more dense LR will be stronger.

You cannot gauge how good LR will ultimately be just by looking at it.

Thanks, but there are lots of people selling LR from established tank (btw i was suggested to buy it from established tank rather than from fish store), how would I know who is selling good quality LR (I don't know may be the one with lots of life form visible on it are good quality rocks)? I appreciated that you are trying to save me money by going for lighter rock with good size, but I also want to get good quality rocks. Please help me if you know how to identify good quality LR.
I wasnt trying to save you money - lighter rock should be more porous therefore better as a filter

IMO you are better off getting the rock from a shop - more expensive but less likely to be clogged up

Did anyone here used uncured live rock to cycle your new tank? I am curious as to what your experiences were.

Most reactions

Back