4 Zebra Danios at 8"
2 Headstanders 6"
3 Rasboras 6" (depending what type)
1 BN Plec 5"
4 Neons 8"
4 Runny nosed tetras 8"
1 Clown Loach 4 cm 12"

That gives you a total of 107".
Unfortunately, your tank is only about 22G so it would be classed as overstocked.
Good filtration and regular maintenace do make a difference but there is still too many fish in such a small tank.
Athena has given you good advice and I would go along with her stocking ideas to prevent problems in the future.

SDC11095.jpg

SDC11094.jpg

I hope this works....

hey

promise us one thing, that clown loach will be taken out =/

Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread (or one of my others), as soon as we go to a friend's huse, Mr Loach will be going to a 100cm tank to join 2 others. So at least that will be a step in the right direction.

Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread (or one of my others), as soon as we go to a friend's huse, Mr Loach will be going to a 100cm tank to join 2 others. So at least that will be a step in the right direction.

heya

good'o mate, just checking :p

apart from that, tank looks dandy!

Hi again - yes, a pretty tank you have there!

I've taken no offence - my advice is offered purely for the sake of the wellbeing of the fish but you are the one who ultimately must make the decisions and choices and deal with problems if/when things go wrong. No one can force you to do anything you don't want to do. It's just advice. And you came on here asking for advice...

One thing I would like to point out, though, is that when we talk about a tank being "overstocked" it is not necessarily anything to do with how much room the fish have to swim about in. I mean, if that was the case you could probably shove another 50 shoaling fish in your tank and they'd still be able to swim around fine, albeit in a stressed state.

You have to take into consideration the size and output of your filter. If the tank holds too many fish for that volume of water and filter, the filter bacteria can struggle to keep up with converting the amount of ammonia that will be present throughout the day. If your filter media can't keep up with it all, this is when you end up with an ammonia spike in your tank, which you already have.

Running two filters (or an extra powerful one) is definitely a good idea on an overstocked tank but you still need to do very regular water changes to keep the nitrates down.

It can all become very stressful and tiring soon enough - and when you want to take a short holiday somewhere you then have the bother and worry about who will do these water changes throughout the week... it can, in time, take the pleasure out of fishkeeping. On a tank that is not overstocked and well-maintained, water changes can easily be left for a couple of weeks or more (e.g. while you are holidaying or maybe sick in bed...) with no ill-effects to the fish. But leave a heavily overstocked tank for 2 - 3 weeks without a water change and chances are you'll lose some fish or find disease has crept in...

Another thing to bear in mind - fish grow fairly quickly. Those sizes you quoted are the current fish sizes - you can double or treble some of those - and it is the adult sizes you should use when working out a stocking level.

Anyway, that's enough from me. All the best - Athena :)

Okay, thanks Athena. I did mean to apologise to you for calling you mistaken but didn't get round to it. I have bought an Eheim 2224 filter which will run alongside the existing Fluval for about 6 weeks and then I will split the stock a bit. It is supposed to be in the post now, so hopefully all will be well soon :D

I don't think I am going to put Boris on his own because he seems to be doing very well in the community and I don't think he will be quite as happy on his own. I know they can do well in solitary but I don't think this particular individual will.

Also, we now have the clearest water we have ever had!! Is this due to a bigger tank, or has the filter finally matured?

One point I would like to raise as a possible debate:-
Bacteria will live and increase if a suitable food source is available, yes? Why then, in a tank such as ours (at present), will there always be ammonia? Why don't the bacteria multiply and multiply until there are enough to bring it down to zero? If it is ultimately down to the size of filter medium, why then can small amounts of bacteria be found in the substrate and why then don't those bacteria multiply accordingly? I am not trying to be clever, I was just looking for answers to what for me is a puzzle....ideas people?

edit due to typo...lol

Yes, over a period of time, the bacteria does multiply in your filter (that's what happens when a filter is cycling) - but a filter sponge can only hold so much bacteria for its size - and then it depends on the strength of the filter (the water turnaround). It's a constant cycle of toxic water passing through the filter, through the sponges containing the bacteria. The bacteria then feed off the ammonia that is constantly flooding through the filter chamber.

Sometimes the good bacteria just can't keep up with it all to convert it all at a fast enough pace to what is being produced in the tank (with all those fishies constantly peeing and pooping LOL) and that's when we see an ammonia spike. So we lend a helping hand by doing a partial water change.

And then as more and more bad toxins get converted to safer nitrates, the nitrate levels slowly build up day by day. Nitrates are safer than ammonia and nitrite - but let them build up too much and they can also be dangerous. So water changes help keep the high levels of nitrates down to an acceptable/safe level. In an overstocked tank, it just means you have to keep doing water changes more often as the nitrate levels will increase at a faster pace than in an under (or fully) stocked tank.

Anyway, that new Eheim filter you have ordered is a good one and suitable up to about 250litres I think, so for your 90 litre that is plenty powerful.

Hope some of that made sense - I'm not very good at explaining these things in a scientific manner (there are plenty of members on here who can do that for you).

Regards - Athena

if I can make one suggestion...
i would triple or quadruple the amount of plants you have in the tank...will help keep the ammonia, etc. levels down. you need to get fast growing plants like the ones you already have (elodea aka anacharis)...camboba and duckweed are also great fast-growers/ nutrient suckers.

just a thought until the new filter arrives and cycles. dont underestimate the power of the plants :)

cheers

Yes, I love the power of plants..lol I was thinking of putting more in but as the 90l is newly set-up and the fish have only been in there a few days, I was going to leave it a few more days until I go muddling about in there again...I do like the idea of having a wall of green at the back and this is what I intend to do as soon as is convenient for me and the fish, especially as a 40% water change today shocked 2 rummie nosed tetras which needed immediate transfer to a warm bowl to revive them.

the sooner the better!!!
the fish will actually appreciate the cover while the settle in, especially the betta!!! again, will help a LOT keeping tank stats stable. and doing a waterchange is more likely to stress the fish out than sticking your hands in the tank to plant for five or ten minutes. plants plants and more plants...just make sure you stick to "easy" ones so they dont start dieing, and they use up the ammonia (thats why you need fast growers-they use the ammonia more readily than slower growing plants).
cheers!

Okay, I will buy some more plants this afternoon, and move the rest from the 60l, which are just there to help make it look less depressing...(it is completely empty except plants and gravel :sad: ).

We had a thought this afternoon too over lunch, why don't we just say 'f*** it all' and get a five footer with cabinet and be done with it once and for all? lol Then we looked at the prices of new set-ups (around £800 for decent ones) and realised why we didn't do it in the first place. Money isn't a problem for small/middle problems but it don't stretch that far, but chance would be a fine thing :sad:

Okay, I will buy some more plants this afternoon, and move the rest from the 60l, which are just there to help make it look less depressing...(it is completely empty except plants and gravel :sad: ).

We had a thought this afternoon too over lunch, why don't we just say 'f*** it all' and get a five footer with cabinet and be done with it once and for all? lol Then we looked at the prices of new set-ups (around £800 for decent ones) and realised why we didn't do it in the first place. Money isn't a problem for small/middle problems but it don't stretch that far, but chance would be a fine thing :sad:

Look for second hand - can get a good set up for a much more reasonable price ;) We're so pleased we wnt with the big tank set up. So many more otpions :)

Most reactions

Back