What To Do With My Conservatory Tank..

duncs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got a couple of tanks in my conservatory, which [especially on sunny days] get an awful lot of natural light. There are blinds in there but I don't really want to have them keeping all the light out, all the time.

I'm not sure which fishes I'm going for yet. I already have a Satanopercoid/Geophagine tank upstairs and a Geophagus sp. tank in the conservatory, and will be looking at either Blockheads [with a chiller - the conservatory gets above 30 degrees celsius quite easily], Africans or Discus for another tank in the conservatory.

My question is though.. how do I keep the algae down? At the moment I'm getting green/brown algae on the front glass and increasing levels of dark green hair algae on the floor of the existing conservatory tank. I can't really plant it - the Geophagus sp. would annihilate the rooted plants in moments. I could do a planted tank for this new tank, but from having read a couple of sources, I don't think natural light is too beneficial for planted tanks?

Opinions and help all appreciated :)

Dunc

Not sure about your type of algae but I know people who have had algae blooms have bought a UV steriliser which has stopped the blooms. Not sure in this case though.

Why don't you get a group of Bristlenose plecs? Apart from Hair Algae they should clear it up.

Yeah, was contemplating them.. but as you mentioned they won't solve my hair algae problem :(

Most reactions

Back