What Tank Size To Raise Platy Fry In?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've had about 30 fry for maybe a little over 4 months now and they are still only about 1-1.5cm in length. I've been raising them in a 1 gallon betta tank and I'm not sure if they're at the appropriate size for their age. they seem to have plenty of room but am I stunting their growth? would raising them in a bigger tank help?

They're 4 months old and only a cm or so in length? They definitely need a larger tank. The size will be determined on how many you are planning on keeping, but for that many fry, I would personally keep them in at least a 10 gallon for the first month, after that I would sex them and decide on which ones were going to be kept and remove the others.

I use a 10 gallon for the first month then move them up to a 20 gallon long for grow out.

small tanks = lots of water changes.
Larger the tank the easier the care.

You also have to take the feeding do small newborn fry into account which is why it's best done in two tanks one very small one for young fry and one larger one for juvenile fry that are growing out.

I'm gonna put them in my 5 gallon tank then but would putting them in a bigger tank affect their feeding habits? I mean it seems like they have to swim so far for food.

Fry are incredibly good swimmers so don't worry about it. I have more than 50 fry in my 50 gal and they will swim the length of the tank for food.

Most reactions

Back