• Black sand w/ or w/o seashells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Specify please!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anthony!

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I can't decide what substrate to use in my 45 long. To kind of get the feeling of what'll be in there, it will hold brackish fish, (one Green Spotted puffer, two F8 puffers, halfbeaks, etc.) Preferably not black sand, I already have that in one tank, man is that ever a pain to keep clean :S . Thank you for your opinions!

I'd go with the white sand with seashells cause it would fit your brackish theme, also if its coral sand itl raise your pH which provided your water isn't already high will benifit the fish you've mentioned.

Personally, i'd go for sand. I did have gravel when I started out but found that a pain to keep clean! :grr: Now I use sand as a substrate, easy to keep clean and my corys love it! :D

I'd use black sand, simply because it seems like it would bring out the colours of the fish better. Without seashells though. Though, in my own brackish I have normal sand in there, and it does look lovely as well.

Just off topic, you're not planning to add all those fish to the tank, right? Because GSP and F8s can not go in together. F8s are low end brackish, and GSP high end to marine. There isn't really an 'in the middle' that will allow both of them to be alright. As to whether or not they'd tolerate half beaks, I really have no clue.

A sand called "Senegal". Though a real pain to wash/rinse (turns the water black), it makes an amazing bottom! The actual sand (once washed) is a bled between black and brown. Very pretty, and as its so large grained, it can be vaccuumed easily...

Also, its quite large grain, and as such, allows nutrients to move around, and I haven't seen a single grain floating around (and I've just set up another tank with it... the water is as clear as it can be :) )

Amazing sand! Now I just need some MTS...

Michele

i am currently in process of slowly cleaning and removing my gravel, going from several inches deep in many places to almost able to see the glass bottom now - once complete and all gone i will be replacing with sand, some more bog wood, and hopefuly lots of plants - though i never have much luck with plants :)

The something else vote I will go with is the mix of black and white sand, which looks brilliant, hides poo well, looks great with plants, and has the ability to show off both dark fish and albino fish well.

IMO pure sand only for saltwater tanks. Black gravel looks great but is unatural unless it's black sand for saltwater. For freshwater I think a mixture of sand and fine and coarse gravel is best in 60%, 30%, and 10% ratios respectively.

Most reactions

Back