what size tank should i get for my betta?

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness
Reaction score
ok, i about a week, for my birhtday, my parent's are letting me pick out a betta. but i want to get a new tank, cause right now, my betta tank is ocupied by a farelybig tadpole. and then i have a 1/2 gallon glass fish bowl, that's not ocupied. but here's the thing, i want to get him a heater and a filteration system. so that would work for my glass bowl. so my questions are: How much does a one or two gallon tank cost? Are there filters for that size tank (i have one for a five gallon tank, would that work)? i already have a heater for that size tank. and my five gallon tanks r for baby fish.

I would go for the biggest bowl, more forgiving with water quality, or even better a 5gal tank.

I would go for one of those plastic travel tanks, the ones with the plastic colored grate tops, like this, they are cheap and come in a lot of sizes and are sold at almost all petsmarts and petcos.
edit: I was going to get the biggest one until my local Petsmart marked the 10 gallons down to $10!

Attachments

• lg_8069_468cb.jpg
    lg_8069_468cb.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 36
You can't easily put any kind of heater in one of those.

I'd ask your parents for a 2.5G minibow.
They're about 25$, and they come with a filter. BUT.... I don't use filters on any of my betta tanks because they really don't like to get blown around. I'd be very cautious about putting a filter into a betta tank.

As for a heater, all of mine have 25W neptune heaters. They work like a charm.

If you were to purchase tanks from walmart or petsmart, a 1 gallon tank would cost about 20. Therefore, you should get a 10 gallon tank, if you want, from walmart for thirty. It would already have a filter and lights, all you would have to do is get a heater for about 5 dollars more.

However, why do you need a heater? Are there temp fluctuations, or is it a precaution?

the average temp in my room is 76 F or so (I have a thermometer) and it I have a lamp right above the tank will I be ok without a heater or should I get one? How much are they usually?

BettaMomma said:
You can't easily put any kind of heater in one of those.
Sure you can. As long as the heater doesn't touch the plastic it works great. I'd put it at an angle though, otherwise it tends to touch the substrate (well, mine does anyway).

Well you technically could put a heater in one of those tanks, but I probably never would.

I wouldn't use a lamp either to heat your tank - fishies need time to rest too so you'd have to shut it off for extended periods of time.

They also have 2.5 gallon glass tanks at most petsmarts for $10 which you can easily put a 25 watt heater with adjustable temp on there. I have 4 of those tanks with Neptune heaters in all of them and they keep the temp steady at 80 degrees. My room temp was also steady at 76 but the water would be at 72-74 and I thought that would be too low for them.

Iridescent said:
edit: I was going to get the biggest one until my local Petsmart marked the 10 gallons down to $10!
Dude, marked them DOWN to $10?!? I can get them regular price for $7.99 at Petland! I feel sorry for you... heh.

Anywho, I'd get the 1 gallon Aquaview at Walmart, or one of these... http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?fami...D+Desk+Top&ct3=
I have 3 of them... and Bettabelieveit has 5. We have heaters in several of ours and it hasn't caused any problesms whatsoever. Just get the lowest wattage you can find. I think the 50W? Don't worry about a filter in anything less than 5 gallons. They're just too hard to take care of with evaporating water. Much easier just cleaning them.

Either that or spend like $10 on a 10-gallon that you can divide... and rescue 2 bettas!! :lol:

Am I a bad influence?? :fun:

$7.99 for a 10 gallon!??!??! It costs over $50 for one in my Walmart, we don't have a petco or petsmart. But it comes with almost everything (filter, canopy, etc.)

Geez... Honestly, I could get the whole shebang, but I usually use the 10-gallons for things other than fish...I'm talking about just the bare bones 10 gallons. Walmart here has them for a little under $10 and Petco has them for $10.99. No thanks...

I think the kit is like $40-50 at our Walmart, too, but I don't need the filters. The kits are a really good deal, though. Seeing as the hoods cost about $25 separately, the filter about $20.

Do you guys not realise how cheap thing are for you in the US, I'm getting a 17.6g (80L to us Brits!!!) soon, and that is going to set me back £109 which to you is $202.43!!!!!!!!

Soooo unfair. :/

Most reactions

Back