What Shrimp Are U Keeping?

helterskelter

Livebearer Specilest
Reaction score
So what is your stats, what you keeping and how are they doing?

I have in the last 3 years got quite into the shrimp side of stuff and just wandering what people are keeping and breeding?
I live in the South Coast UK With hard water, and a pH of 7-7.5

Currently keeping:-
  • Cherries with loads of shrimplets
  • Blue bee shrimp (Bredding OK'ish)
  • 5 A grade Crystal red's (3 bar's)
Only just got the crystals but hopeing they will breed much the same, but understand they prefer softer water so just testing what they do currently.

I don't have any but I do fancy come cherries; they were £3.50 at my lfs and they were the only one that sold them GRR (they had two in but I wasn't convinced they were cherries; they were dark red with white stripes).

I don't have any but I do fancy come cherries; they were £3.50 at my lfs and they were the only one that sold them GRR (they had two in but I wasn't convinced they were cherries; they were dark red with white stripes).

Quick buy them.

They will be Crystals if they have white stripes. i payed £8 each for mine

i have 2 amanos- one male, one female. they are really good little guys :wub: and keep the tank relatively hair algae free :good: , but aren't so good at tackling the brown and green spot algae :sick: . I rely on the apple snails to tackle that bit. I'm hoping to get some more once my new tank is ready, probably 1 more male and 2 more females :D . I'm interested in cherries, but I don't want thousands of shrimps :fun: , and amanos need salt water to breed so thats good for me :nod: .

I would love to have the shrimpies, but made the wrong choice in angelfish... No shrimp for me! (or the angels! ;) )

At the Moment I have Cherries.
In the Past I have Kept, Amano, Red Nose, Bee Shrimp, Tiger, Red Claw Shrimp, Wood Shrimp, Vampire Shrimp.
The Local Vet breeds shrimp, so will be getting Snowball, Red/Black Crystal, Blue Tiger in the Future.

Quick buy them.

Wow really? I did fancy them, I might have to have another look today in that case.

Ok I may have a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between ghost shrimp and amano shrimp? I've been looking at pictures and the amano seem to have spots on then where as the ghost don't?

Thanks

GRR my edit didn't work. I've just looked on google at crystal shrimp and it was definately those that I saw...

Another question, why are they so expensive?

Quick buy them.

Wow really? I did fancy them, I might have to have another look today in that case.

Ok I may have a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between ghost shrimp and amano shrimp? I've been looking at pictures and the amano seem to have spots on then where as the ghost don't?

Thanks

GRR my edit didn't work. I've just looked on google at crystal shrimp and it was definately those that I saw...

Another question, why are they so expensive?

ghosts have no spotting down the sides.

crystal shrimp are harder to breed, and not many around thats why u dont see them much.

have two armano shrimp one has just moulted i thought it had died as i couldn't find it for a while and thought the exo skeleton was his remains.
how do you tell the sexes of them?

This weekend I added 4 cherry and 4 bee shrimps to my heavily planted 25 litre which also houses my blind Betta.

Never had them before, am enjoying watching them. Only thing is I've already found two of the skins, don't know whether that's a good thing or not, thought I would have them a bit longer before they started to shed.

They all seem to be ok though.

Most reactions

Back