What Should I Put In

john28uk

Reaction score
im asking for as much help and ideas as possible, ive now got my rio 240 set up and ready to be stocked, loads of rocks and caves, will post pics later. Ive searched and searched the forums and lfs's and finished up with an headache, what mbunas should i get :crazy: . Any ideas, stocking levels and personal preferences are welcome. obviously i dom
dont want world war 3 in there, but do want as much colour and variety as possible.

Cheers :good:

Yellow Labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus) are probably the most popular and easily available mabuna, stay slightly smaller than some other mabuna and I personally like them.

pseudotropheus acei and pseudotropheus flavus are another couple of my favourites.

However it might come down to what you have available to you in your LFS unless you are able to travel a long way. As ever take care using LFS advice, mabuna are often I.D wrong.

Tbh most lfs are shocking imo, spent hours and hours going round them asking questions could of bought a 200g tank with all the fuel i have used. lol. Had some telling me to put fish that grow way to big and will eat everything else, ended up doing a fish in cycle on lfs advice (noobie) when totally not neccesary, they just see pound signs. Do you have to dtock 1-3 with most mbuna or is 1 species alone ok with mixed mbuna?

It depends on the species. I know yellow labs needs to be in 1m-3f ratio but lots of mabuna are fine kept singularly. Have a look for some local breeders, they will have top quality fish and sound advice.

Are you in the UK as someone in Nottingham is selling some really strong coloured acei cichlids & he breeds them himself. You don't usually get strong looking acei's but compared to his I would travel a hour away to get a good breed like his, he shows the actual pic of the acei's he has and has been breeding for years. He advertises his fish on aquarist ad website.

Most reactions

Back