What Predators Could I Add To My Tank

africantigerfish7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon freshwater aquarium that is ready to go. I'm not quite sure what to add to it, but I am planning on putting predators in there. I don't mean cichlids, I mean the pure predators. If anyone could suggest what type of fish could thrive in my tank, I would really appreciate.

i'm no expert at all, but a piranha may need more than a 60 gallon tank, they are schooling fish, so if you kept say 4 red bellies (species tank) (the most commonly found type) you need 20 gallon per fish really. that's what 5 minutes on google told me anyway!

you could have a freshwater puffer species tank?

I have a 60 gallon freshwater aquarium that is ready to go. I'm not quite sure what to add to it, but I am planning on putting predators in there. I don't mean cichlids, I mean the pure predators. If anyone could suggest what type of fish could thrive in my tank, I would really appreciate.
Species tank for Exodon paradoxus?

You'll have to research eels first if you want to have one, they are very demanding, they require lots of hiding spaces and become very large, for example a moray eel would be more suited to a 120 gallon tank.

There are however much smaller eels which would fit happily in your tank.

Tiger fish, relatives of the Piranha grow upto 30", look it up, it's got a mean pair of jaws, similar looking to the Barracuda, thats a nice fish also.

freshwater puffer. they are excellent fish.. although I think chiclids are amazing fish. i watched them at the lfs and they are such commical fish.

I'd say a large school of Exodons, like 15-20. But that may just be me, I have no experience with these fish but the fascinate me.

i was planning to make an all predator tank too. senegal bichir, african brown knife, and a african butterfly fish. or you can get a school of exodons if you have access to them

i was planning to make an all predator tank too. senegal bichir, african brown knife, and a african butterfly fish. or you can get a school of exodons if you have access to them

I have a Knife fish. They are so brilliant! Its a Clown Knife fish and its in a 250Gal at the moment, hopefully goin in a tropical pond because my tank is too small when it's fully grown.
Predatory fish for a 60Gal I would say Bichir wouldnt suit it because this fish grows huge AND they need abit of land if it were, to breathe properly as it needs access to air.
Personnally, for a really big fish with teeth that show, I would go for something like a neon tetra! :crazy:

Hey, your name has just reminded me of the Freshwater Barracuda.
They grow to like 9 inch fully grown and i dont kno how long your tank is. They fish looks really predatory-ish :crazy:

Predatory fish for a 60Gal I would say Bichir wouldnt suit it because this fish grows huge AND they need abit of land if it were, to breathe properly as it needs access to air.
:lol:
Sorry for the giggle, but they don't need land! They just swim to the top and gulp air, I've never heard of one using land. There are several species of bichir that would be great for a 60 gallon.

Here's a good site of predatory oddballs that can tell you about bichirs, if nothing else... most of the fish on there are too big for a 60 gallon
http://www.primitivefish.com/

nope, bichirs dont need land, but they can travel on land if they need to. senegals grow up to be 12 inches, and the minimum tank size is 30 gallons long, its not recommended though.

The question is do you want a single predator or a predator community?

For a single predator i would suggest Hoplias malabaricus, the common wolf fish. These are pure eating machines, a stomach with a mouth filled with teeth and an aggressive attitude to match. They grow to around 14" on average in captivity but are fairly inactive so a 60g just about fills their basic needs.

Predator communities take a bit of trial and error, what works for one person may not work for another as every predatory fish has a different personality. Bichirs normally work out well and the larger gobies such as Oxyeleotris marmoratus which although are extreemly predatory will leave fish that are too large to swallow unmolested for the main part.
I'd avoid any of the "baracuda" "gar" and "pike" type Characins, your tank simply isnt long enough to cater for their lightning quick strikes and will result in the fish bashing its nose against the glass repeatedly until permament damage is done.

There are lots of small and sessile predators that could be added to your tan but with their availability to you not known to us it would be pointless to rattle off lists of names. The best thing to do is put together a list of fish you can get and then if you are unsure of their compatability put a post in the appropriate forum.

I have two African Buttery Fly fish in my 70Gal, I would reccomend them for a pred if you want a comunity to (although you cant by smaller fish)

Most reactions

Back