What Plants Live In Sand Substrate?

Echinoderm

Reaction score
I've got a 15 gallon freshwater tropical tank that currently has 2 Java Ferns and a piece of wood. It will soon have puffers, probably dwarf puffers.

I want to get some nice plants in the sand because I recently found out that the Javas have to be tied to the wood.

Any suggestions?

I WILL NOT BE FERTILIZING OR ADDING CO2... not worth the work because I'm more into the fish than the planting.

Thanks

Vallisneria Spiralis, it's a very long leaved grassy plant which looks great at the back.
Amazon sword, nice long sword shaped leaves and lots of roots.
Cryptocorynes of any variety - they are nice and bushy.
Cabomba, it's a fast growing and easy to care for stem plant.

To see what each of those look like just go on google and search the name. They are all pretty commonly available.

Vallisneria Spiralis, it's a very long leaved grassy plant which looks great at the back.
Amazon sword, nice long sword shaped leaves and lots of roots.
Cryptocorynes of any variety - they are nice and bushy.
Cabomba, it's a fast growing and easy to care for stem plant.

To see what each of those look like just go on google and search the name. They are all pretty commonly available.

Thanks for all of the advice

I know nothing about plants. I tried them once but they died instantly and killed my water. I dont remember what they were

I just started doing real plants again because I'm sick of those little kid unnatural tanks with pink gravel.

I will have puffers in the tank in about a week. It should look nice

Most (if not all) aquatic plants are fully capable of taking nutrients from the water column via their leaves, but if you go with swords or crypts, and you really don't want to dose the water column I'd recommend getting some root tabs or something to stick around them.

Using ferts really isn't that much extra work...in a low-tech tank it's even less work than feeding your fish since your plants would prob. only need "food" once a week.

I WILL NOT BE FERTILIZING not worth the work because I'm more into the fish than the planting.
Thanks

may as well stick to plastic ones then!

why get real plants and then not feed them?
add some micros. TPN or similar once a week is all you'd need to do.

what are root tabs?
fertilizer tablets placed in the substrate for the plants.

a fertilizer that i am fond of is the flourish tabs. it is great for rooted plants and easy to use.

p_923196_FS34790D.jpg

just keep in mind that if you do choose to use ferts. It is always best to use less vs more, or you end up like me with an annoying algae problem lol.

just keep in mind that if you do choose to use ferts. It is always best to use less vs more, or you end up like me with an annoying algae problem lol.

hmmm,
its been pretty well established now that ferts dont cause algae.
less is fine tho as long as all of the required nutrients are present.

Most reactions

Back