What Other Fish Should I Get To Complement My Tank.

csr mel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ive got a 40 gallon unplanted tank. i have alot of structure and fake plants. it is setup with automatic lighting. during the day i have a ge aquarium flurescent bulb. at night the lights automatically switch to a small blacklight so that my glofish glow in the dark. which is cool because thats why i bought them.

tank inmates:

6 genetically modified "glofish"
3 platy
1 bristle nose (the kind which grow to 6 inch maximum)
1 male betta
there seems to be quite a few small snails.

so as you can see i have alot of tank left to fill up.
i like fish that are hardy and easy to care for. i also like colourfull fish. i am not fond of high maintence fish or ones which cost alot of money.

i maintain excellent qater quality. weekly 25% water changes.
nitrate:20
nitrite:0
harness:75
alkalinity:120
ph:7.5
75-80 degrees water temp year round.

i was thinking of getting some painted glassfish because i think their colours would really pop under the blacklight, however i dont know how durable they are sence they have been injected with colour.

Don't get Painted Glassfish, I believe the mortality rate for them is 80% or something within the first week. (You'll have to look into that for more detail, or possible more accurate stats). The death rate has everything to do with the paint that is injected into them. And if they do survive they will get an illness very easily...

Also I believe glofish are more susceptible to disease, this again is because of the way that they are made to glow.

BTW- 40 gallon community tank, might not be the best place for a betta.(too much current, and if you have colorful or longfinned fish, the betta will harass them or if you have nippy fish, they will attack the betta.)

Look into some colorful schooling species, like Zebra Danios, or Harlequin Rasbors. They are both hardy and great fish!

ive got a 40 gallon unplanted tank. i have alot of structure and fake plants. it is setup with automatic lighting. during the day i have a ge aquarium flurescent bulb. at night the lights automatically switch to a small blacklight so that my glofish glow in the dark. which is cool because thats why i bought them.

tank inmates:

6 genetically modified "glofish"
3 platy
1 bristle nose (the kind which grow to 6 inch maximum)
1 male betta
there seems to be quite a few small snails.

so as you can see i have alot of tank left to fill up.
i like fish that are hardy and easy to care for. i also like colourfull fish. i am not fond of high maintence fish or ones which cost alot of money.

i maintain excellent qater quality. weekly 25% water changes.
nitrate:20
nitrite:0
harness:75
alkalinity:120
ph:7.5
75-80 degrees water temp year round.

i was thinking of getting some painted glassfish because i think their colours would really pop under the blacklight, however i dont know how durable they are sence they have been injected with colour.

And also by buying painted (dyed) fish you are supporting the dyeing of fish. If people stop buying dyed fish then the stores will realise that it is cruel and isn't a money maker. :good:

Maybe you could get one or two larger fish... not sure which species would be compatible with the betta though. :/ How does he get along with the other tankmates?

EDIT: Left the room while typing this, CR has already mentioned the betta might be an issue.

Hmmmm...maybe you could add a shoal of harlequin rasboras or a rainbow shark.

NO! Painted glassfish are injected with dyes! Do not get, it is cruel!

the betta gets along fine with everyone else. i pay special attention to him during feeding time to make sure he gets his share to eat, and because of this, he doesnt attack any of the other fish.

Captain Retardo, ive already got zebra danios (that is what glofish are), but ill look into the Harlequin Rasboras.

KeeperOfFishyPeace, the rasboras and rainbow shark sound appealing, although it may be a little big?

i guess ill hold off on the painted fish for now .

Neons or cardinal tetras are just as colorful (more so) tha painted glassfish anyway. A school of those should mix well with your tank.

Hold off on them? Why not just ditch that thought all together? Arn't you concerned that by purchasing those painted fish you would be adding to the cruelty that goes with coloring those kinds of fish? If we don't buy them, they won't torture more fish because they don't make money.

Maybe a couple angels? I am not sure if they would be a problem with the betta. But I agree with tetraman, you could get a couple rams. :D

the betta gets along fine with everyone else. i pay special attention to him during feeding time to make sure he gets his share to eat, and because of this, he doesnt attack any of the other fish.

Captain Retardo, ive already got zebra danios (that is what glofish are), but ill look into the Harlequin Rasboras.

KeeperOfFishyPeace, the rasboras and rainbow shark sound appealing, although it may be a little big?

i guess ill hold off on the painted fish for now .

Oh yea sorry, kind of lost my head there... (bout the danios and glofish)

Don't get painted fish alltogether, they will just die shortly after, or worse: get a disease and go down along with your other fish....

if you get a rainbow shark after about a year he will get very aggressive...especially with smaller fish, and ones with longer fins, such as angels. i have one that has been with an angel for over a year, and he just now started to be a bother, nearly nipping its entire ventrals off. he also killed a black ghost knife recently as well.

Most reactions

Back