What Order?

Malawifan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum. I've been keeping fish for about 8 months. I'm running a tetratech ex1200 filter (standard set up). I've just bought some alphagrog and want to replace some of the media with it. I'm unsure which of the media to replace.

Top tray Purigen and floss

Foams

Scrubbies

Bottom Ceramic rings

Thanks for any help guys

Replace the purigen I dont think you need it. You could also add more ceramics in trays you have room in

I've been using the Purigen and carbon for the last few months and my water quality is great. I would rather keep the top tray for those items. Would I replace he scrubbie balls for the alphagrog or the ceramic rings? And should I do a 50/50 old and new media. I'm heavily stocked at the moment so I would have to be careful not to shock the tank.

Thanks

I've been using the Purigen and carbon for the last few months and my water quality is great. I would rather keep the top tray for those items. Would I replace he scrubbie balls for the alphagrog or the ceramic rings? And should I do a 50/50 old and new media. I'm heavily stocked at the moment so I would have to be careful not to shock the tank.

Thanks

Items like carbon are money makers for the filter companies. The only benafit of using carbon is removing meds you've used before hand. Apart from that it's fairly useless.

ceramics are what the bacteria live on. The more you have the more good bacteria you have. If you have old media put as much as possible if not all the old media in if your heavily stocked.

So I could remove the scrubbie balls from that tray and add the alphagrog and keep all the rings in the other tray?

Thanks

P1000289.jpg

A quick pic

Replace the purigen I dont think you need it. You could also add more ceramics in trays you have room in

Thanks

Items like carbon are money makers for the filter companies. The only benafit of using carbon is removing meds you've used before hand. Apart from that it's fairly useless.

ceramics are what the bacteria live on. The more you have the more good bacteria you have. If you have old media put as much as possible if not all the old media in if your heavily stocked.

I agree with you about not needing the Carbon (not sure the OP is using carbon anyway), but Seachem Purigen works wonders for water clarity so I would say keep it in the filter.

And mix the alphagrog with the ceramic rings in the bottom tray.

Def keep the Purigen! Does a great job of clarifying the water. I would just mix in as already stated.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, if you are willing to keep replacing the Purigen then definitely keep it. Keeping the carbon or not depends what you want from it as there are certainly many other things it does than removing medication!

Why would you have to replace the Purigen? It can be "recharged" with a bleach/water bath and reused. I have not heard of anyone throwing it away after it has turned brown. They would really be wasting money and not know the product.

I use two 100ml bags of it and and two bags of carbon. The Purigen only needs recharging every 6 weeks and its not that bad when I take it out. Just slightly brown. And my water is crystal clear.

Why would you have to replace the Purigen? It can be "recharged" with a bleach/water bath and reused. I have not heard of anyone throwing it away after it has turned brown. They would really be wasting money and not know the product.

I personally have never used it so am not too familiar, i just understand the concept. I also know some people do not like the idea of recharging it in bleach. Either way, keep the stuff.

I personally have never used it so am not too familiar, i just understand the concept. I also know some people do not like the idea of recharging it in bleach. Either way, keep the stuff.

After recharging in a 50/50 mix of water and thin bleach it then goes into a solution of water and prime. This gets rid of the chlorine making it safe to use.

Thanks guys

Most reactions

Back