What Kind Of Pleco Is This?

mea_caroro

Reaction score
here's my Pleco:

pleco4.jpg

pleco3.jpg

(sorry for image quality)

I'm afraid he's a common and will grow too large for my 10 gallon tank. I recently found out Plecos are "tank busters" and told my mom. We are currently looking for a large tank and everything, but first, in order to know how large the tank needs to be, how large does or will this pleco grow to be? he is currently about 3.5 inches long and I've had him for a few months. Tell me how large (gallons) my new tank for him needs to be, or if he'll be fine in a 10 gallon like the pet store people told me

hard to tell from those photos, does he look like this? I so he will need a 4x2x2 (feet) minimum when he is adult, will reach over 12 inches.

should grow pretty quick as well, mine went from 2.5 inch - 7 inch in about 5-6 months

more photos will help

pretty sure its not a gibby, and there is something wrong with a gibby that only reaches 7 inch.

hard to tell from those photos, does he look like this? I so he will need a 4x2x2 (feet) minimum when he is adult, will reach over 12 inches.

should grow pretty quick as well, mine went from 2.5 inch - 7 inch in about 5-6 months

more photos will help

pleco.jpg

he does look like that :)

Mmm, hold up a bit. If he's only grown to 3.5" in a couple of months... perhaps he's something else? I had a similar question in THIS thread, and I thought he was a gibby too... but apparently the dorsal ray count wasn't right, haha. Mine turned out to grow up to be just a bit over 5" in... 4 years, haha.

Either way, he'll need a bigger tank, but he might not be a total tankbuster like you thought.

he has only grown 3.5" because hes starting to stunt. the other fish are taking up his space. i had one do the same thing before i realised he will grow huge but it was 2 late he died at 5" not from natural causes tho. he got himself stuck under my heater and burned himself to death.

Most reactions

Back