What kind of fishes for outdoor pond?

Pictus

Reaction score
Firstly some context. I live in northern CA. 500 ft. Elevation. My pond sits on the easterly side of my house and we never get frost in the winters. I set it up beginning of summer and the plants have exploded. I was wondering what kind of fish I can put in here that would be happy with 40°F nights. So far I have two goldfish, two butterfly koi, and a bunch of guppies. I dont want to add any other fish that get bigger than a goldfish. I was thinking some bottom feeders would be nice. Also one of my goldfish is eating the baby guppies. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Attachments

• 20230904_181206.jpg
    20230904_181206.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230904_181222.jpg
    20230904_181222.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230823_221849.jpg
    20230823_221849.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230823_222222.jpg
    20230823_222222.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 24
How big is your pond? I'm asking because koi get HUGE.

I'm not sure how they'd do with the butterfly koi, but bluegills are my favorite pond fish. They'll go after your guppies, though. Goldfish will eat anything they can fit in their rather large mouths.

Fathead minnows work for me. Temps from 85 to freezing, I have a self maintaining population for over 20 years. Smaller than goldfish larger than guppies.

Firstly some context. I live in northern CA. 500 ft. Elevation. My pond sits on the easterly side of my house and we never get frost in the winters. I set it up beginning of summer and the plants have exploded. I was wondering what kind of fish I can put in here that would be happy with 40°F nights. So far I have two goldfish, two butterfly koi, and a bunch of guppies. I dont want to add any other fish that get bigger than a goldfish. I was thinking some bottom feeders would be nice. Also one of my goldfish is eating the baby guppies. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
i have medium sized pond abit smaller then yours i keep bristlenose plecos in them all year round and they do fine in the hot and cold. and are starting to breed

We need pond dimensions (length x width x height).

As mentioned by WhistlingBadger, koi get big (3 feet plus). In a small pond they won't get to 3 ft but they will easily reach 12 inches in length.

The smallest sized pond for koi carp is 20 feet long x 10 ft wide x 3ft deep/ high.

The smallest sized pond for goldfish is 10ft x 4ft x 2ft because goldfish regularly grow to 8 inches and can hit 12 inches long (not including their tail).

Some barbs (rosy, ruby) might survive the cool conditions at night. Most other tropical fishes will struggle when it gets that cold.

I dont want to add any other fish that get bigger than a goldfish. I was thinking some bottom feeders would be nice.
I would recommend plecos. They are good pond fishies that will clean up the algae and extra food.
Also one of my goldfish is eating the baby guppies. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Also... Goldfish eat anything anything and EVERYTHING they can fit their mouths on so they will without a doubt eat the baby guppies let alone the adult guppies (as the goldfish gets bigger). I would also wonder/think they are being eaten by the koi too. (maybe not though. I am not super knowledgeable about them).

We need pond dimensions (length x width x height).

As mentioned by WhistlingBadger, koi get big (3 feet plus). In a small pond they won't get to 3 ft but they will easily reach 12 inches in length.

The smallest sized pond for koi carp is 20 feet long x 10 ft wide x 3ft deep/ high.

The smallest sized pond for goldfish is 10ft x 4ft x 2ft because goldfish regularly grow to 8 inches and can hit 12 inches long (not including their tail).

Some barbs (rosy, ruby) might survive the cool conditions at night. Most other tropical fishes will struggle when it gets that cold.
Here on the east coast, we have cold winters. Barbs probably arent good since the temps may drop for him.

As already said: Koi need a bigger space. They grow fast. Goldfish and koi will only eat smaller fish if they are kept in a small environment. Kept in a large environment, they'll leave smaller fish alone.
But as already mentioned, white clouds are good contenders for your pond. They have very wide margin in temperature tolerance and are quite hardy.

Most reactions

Back