What kind of fish is this?

KayleighC97

Reaction score
New tank setup, I have a Java Fern and some Java moss. Picked up my first fish today (10 Neon Tetra and 6 Pygmy Corys). 3 hours after they were put in my tank this one appeared. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_6161.mov
    17.2 MB
  • IMG_6157.jpeg
    IMG_6157.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6160.jpeg
    IMG_6160.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 28
It's a Bororas species. You have to look at googled images to see which one as several are popular in the hobby. They are nice, tiny shoaling fish from Asia.

Boraras merah
Aka Phoenix rasbora
Lovely little guys. See if you can get more because they're shoaling fish and he's pretty much max size

Boraras merah
Aka Phoenix rasbora
Lovely little guys. See if you can get more because they're shoaling fish and he's pretty much max size
Thanks! I’m so confused because he was not in my tank before, all I had was a Java fern and Java moss. I put my new fish in today that I bought (he definitely was not in the bag!) and 3 hours later he pop ups haha

It's a Bororas species. You have to look at googled images to see which one as several are popular in the hobby. They are nice, tiny shoaling fish from Asia.
I think it’s a Pygmy Spotted Rasbora? Still clueless as to how he got in my tank haha

Thanks! I’m so confused because he was not in my tank before, all I had was a Java fern and Java moss. I put my new fish in today that I bought (he definitely was not in the bag!) and 3 hours later he pop ups haha
You do know the legend of the phoenix....

I'd place bets that he accidentally got netted with your other fish at the store and was missed. Lucky fish either way

You do know the legend of the phoenix....

I'd place bets that he accidentally got netted with your other fish at the store and was missed. Lucky fish either way
Just so strange because I acclimated them then put them in a separate container to make catching them in the net easier and I still didn’t see the little guy! Haha. Unfortunately I have to take him back to the store anyway as my tank is too small to get a school of them :(

Just so strange because I acclimated them then put them in a separate container to make catching them in the net easier and I still didn’t see the little guy! Haha. Unfortunately I have to take him back to the store anyway as my tank is too small to get a school of them :(
What's the tank size? You might have room, they're very small and aren't incompatible with your current fish... so it might be doable

What's the tank size? You might have room, they're very small and aren't incompatible with your current fish... so it might be doable
Mines only a 38 litre , a few people have told me I’m already overpopulating my tank with the 10 tetra and 6 Pygmy Cory haha😅

Oh yeah that's barely even 10 gallons, even the neons would be cramped as ideally they do better in an 80 liter. The boraras though would do fine with the pygmy cories instead of the neon tetras though.

If I had the choice between, boraras school is better than the neons in your tank size.

Most reactions

Back