What Kind Of Catfish/shark Is This?

fish-r-fancy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi some neighboor hood kids played an evil joke on my friend and threw a shark/catfish in my friends koi pond. This shark/catfish has killed several of my friends fish that are over a foot long, bigger than the shark/catfish! The shark/catfish is between 6-12 inches long it's hard to tell with it being in a koi pond and all. We tried to net the fish out and weren't very succesful, my friend ended up getting poked by the fish. it seems that the fish had some kind of spike on its head. I think clown loaches also have these. The fish is beautiful it is green,gold and has a little orange. We took the fish to a fish store and they said they didn't have a clue what it was. They thought that it was a catfish but said it could also be a shark. They looked threw all of there books and found nothing. Does anybody know or have any idea what kind of fish this is? Thank you.

The fish also has a black spot on its side.

I know thta pics would help a lot but my dog got a hold of my digital camera and it doesn't work anymore. We don't know what to do with the fish though because we've went to 4 different lfs's today and none of them no what it is so they won't take it. We can't put it back in the koi pond becaus it's killing my friends koi that are expensive. I want to keep it in a spare tank that I have but I want to make sure it's not going to get to big. I currentlyt have it in the spare tank right now. My friend is away for the weekend but on Monday I'll ask if I could borrow her digital camera and try and get some pics up.

With out a pic we can't really help im afraid

I'll ask to borrow my friends camera tommorow because she is away for the weekend. I searched google and I went to planetcatfish.com and found nothing. It's kind of hard because I don't know what to search for only things like large catfish or wild catfish. If anybody has any clues or anything like that to lead me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated. Thanks

Which country are you in?

Does it look like a plec, a loach or similar to a bala shark?

Could it be a native fish such as a pike?

i liked at pike pics and it kind of does look like that except, it has darker colors and a black spot on its side. I'm in the US. Do pikes have spikes on the top of their heads?

No, i dont think so but if it looks like a pike then its not a catfish. Does it have teeth?

No use guessing really, need a pic and a side one if you can.

Where is it now?

When i said looks like a pike i meant coloration. Not sure if it has teeth9I don't really want to find out either). I'll try and fisnd out. I think it does though. I think that it could be some type of cross breed if nobody nows what it is. Below I will post a list of things that I positively know about the fish(and 2morrow I will get some pics up).

1. The fishes head is round shaped like the head on an iredescint(spelling) shark.

2. On both sides of the fish it has a black spot that is about the size of a penny.

3. The shark is not a bottom dweller, it takes advantage of the whole tank.

4. The fish has several whiskers.

5.The fish has a fin that looks like a sharks dorsal fin.

6. The fish is greenish blue and when it turns it looks like the scales change goldish orange.

7. The fish has a spike on the top of its head, like I think clown loaches do.

Thats about all i know about this fish for now I will try to add to the list and of course try and get some pics up and maybe even a video.

Hey my feeling are hurt :( He didnt quote me as having the right fish. Granted my page was in some crazy language but it is the same fish. We sell them at the petstore where I work. When he described it as having the face like a pangasius catfish I thought I knew what he was talking about and I was right. Sorry I just wanted to cry for a minute and say I was right.

Most reactions

Back