What is your favorite breed of dog??

canyon_rayne

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Happy Valley, Utah...Otherwise known as Spanish Fo
I have had really good lucks with labs and also cocker spaniels. We are looking to get another dog and I was looking for some suggestions. Keep in mind that we already have a hound an Australian Sheppard. I also have a 14 month old son so any reccomended dogs must be kid friendly.. :p

I have a boxer now, and she is about the only purebred dog i've ever had, she just happened to be at the animal shelter;)
I would think a medium sized dog would be great with a kid because the child can't hurt the dog as easily as a toy breed (even if unintentional) and the dog wouldn't be too much for the kid.
I know it depends on each dogs personality, but my Delilah wouldn't do well with children b/c she would knock them down all the time, haha.
Personally, i would never buy a dog from a breeder because there are so many pets put to sleep each year because there aren't enough homes for them as it is.
I'm sure there are plenty of dogs and puppies at your local shelter in need of a loving home, wink wink
:thumbs:

min pins of course (the little one here would bite my ankle if i didn't say it..), doberman pinschers, rotties, and staffordshires/american staffordshires. i'm a sucker for the dogs with bad raps, what can i say. i guess i just know that any dog can be trained to be viscious, but any dog can also be trained to be loving and gentle. that, and theyre adorable....... :D

i personaly like big dogs, i used to have a german shepard that was great with kids, i know cus i was that kid lol, i would ride on that dogs back, and grab stuff from his mouth, but those kinds of dogs it really depends on the personality. another good breed might be a lab.

labs!! they are definatly my favorite. i have 2 lab mixes, they are such friendly and hyper dogs. another favorite is bull mastiffs

Collies are great dogs! I do miss mine. I'm going to have one again someday, though. Anyway, they're good dogs - good with children and critters and are good watchdogs. Australian Shepherds are nice dogs - I have an Aussie cross and he's great. There are lots of good dogs out there. My sister has a German Shepherd/Lab cross and he's a good dog. My vet has a German Shepherd, a Boston Terrier, and an old mutt and all three are great with the vet's children.

So many to choose from.... :)

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

We love our Basset hound.
He awesome for kids, heck he taught my son how to walk and toliet trained my neighbour's daughter! He is also a godd compainion for husband's hunting trip. Please don't flame me about that, I really didn't know he was. That should be a pre-requisite when dating, "so do you kill?"
I loved having a Rotti and will again.

Staffordshire Bullterrier
Border Collie

As much as I adore these two breeds, I really wouldn't trust them with children. When I was a child we had this most gorgeous lurcher cross you could ever wish to meet. Children could do anything with her, she just wanted to please. In my experience, most lurchers are like this.

Or a golden retriever. Or a gordon setter. My nan had one. I'd go for a mongrel and take him/her to your house and trial him/her for a couple of weeks. Then you can know that they get on with your son before you fully commit yourself to the dog.

Most reactions

Back