What is wrong with my Apistogramma

14ssmith

Reaction score
Hi there guys! So my male Apisto isn't doing to hot and I would really like not to lose him. I dont see anything on his body that would indicate any issues. He has slimmed near his back tail fin. And he sinks like a rock, I can see him struggle to come off the bottom of the tank and im not sure what is wrong with him. I just switched his frozen brine shrimp incase it was a bad batch and also got a high quality pellet food as well. Help please!
20210517_180918.jpg
20210517_180955.jpg

i think we need a better photo, too much diatoms its blurry

Without a clearer photo I’m not sure what is wrong with it. I would guess that the corydoras and other bottom-dwellers has disturbed something in that substrate which has then upset the Apistogramma.

What is your ammonia, nitrite, pH and temperature readings? How often do you do water changes?

A. Cacatouides can be a sensitive fish.

What are your water parameters? Temperature?

Additionally - any changes to the tank and what are the tank mates?

What does the fish's poop look like?

How often do you feed the fish and what do you feed them?

What other fish are in the tank?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

What are the black things in the sand?

----------------------
Wipe the glass down inside and outside.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish. Upload the video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

----------------------
Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for 2-4 weeks, with a variety of frozen and live foods (don't use tubifex or black worms).

Do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean every day while you are feeding them more often so the water stays clean.

Check the fish's poop.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Maybe deworm the fish but post video of it swimming before doing that.

----------------------

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish. Upload the video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

----------------------
Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for 2-4 weeks, with a variety of frozen and live foods (don't use tubifex or black worms).

Do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean every day while you are feeding them more often so the water stays clean.

Check the fish's poop.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

I had the water tested at the place I bought them all good on water balance. The black things on the sand is different colored sand. I clean the filter every 3days or so.
20210519_221030.jpg
20210519_221048.jpg
View attachment 136993

----------------------

----------------------

Check the fish's poop.

I feed 1x a day frozen brine shrimp new pack. And new life spectrum pellets(he doesnt really like them) and Flakes occasionally

Without a clearer photo I’m not sure what is wrong with it. I would guess that the corydoras and other bottom-dwellers has disturbed something in that substrate which has then upset the Apistogramma.

What is your ammonia, nitrite, pH and temperature readings? How often do you do water changes?
Water balance is good. Temp is 77° water 10% to 25% every week or every other week

Why are you cleaning the filter every 3 days?

You should do a bigger water change and gravel clean the substrate every week, or at least every 2 weeks. I recommend a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week, but a 50% every week is also fine.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most Apistogramma cichlids don't like dry food and prefer live or frozen (but defrosted) foods. Many are wild caught, although Apistogramma cacatuoides are captive bred and have been for years.

----------
Without knowing what its poop was like, it's hard to say. But if a fish gets skinny quickly (over a week or two), stops eating or doesn't eat as much, and does stringy white poop, it has an internal protozoan infection.

If a fish gets skinny over a month or more, it can be intestinal worms or a bad case of gill flukes.

Most reactions

Back