What is this?

AlphaMoon

Reaction score
16905783956477452387739151468471.jpg

The black algae like stuff is almost impossible to get rid of. How do I get rid of it? When I cleaned off the hide it came off like a black slime of some sort. Pls help

Hi, I've got a little algae problem i'm wondering what type of algae eater is good for a 10 gallon tank, any suggestions?
I have guppies in one tank and tetras and a Betta in the other, both have an algae problem. What is the best algae eater for a 10 gallon tank?

Probably nothing. There are many types of algae, from common green (which is often not even visible at first) to diatoms (brown) and then the "problem" algaes as I call them. No fish will eat the latter, with a couple of possible exceptions that would be way too large for a 10g. Snails might help, maybe shrimp, but I doubt it. Problem algae is in a class by itself.

I am centering on problem algae because I saw your earlier thread about a black slime-like stuff. Hard to tell from the photo there, but it may be cyanobacteria. This is not an algae but a photosynthetic bacteria. It is caused by high organics in the presence of light.

Canyou post clearer photos of the tanks so we can see whatever this is?

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Does it smell musty?
If it wipes off in a sheet/ film, smells musty/ mouldy, and grows back in a few days, it's blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It loves nutrients, red light, slow water movement, low oxygen levels.

Reduce dry food going into the tank.
Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate for a few weeks.
Try to physically remove as much of it as you can each day.
Increase aeration and water movement.

If all else fails, try the following product.

Probably nothing. There are many types of algae, from common green (which is often not even visible at first) to diatoms (brown) and then the "problem" algaes as I call them. No fish will eat the latter, with a couple of possible exceptions that would be way too large for a 10g. Snails might help, maybe shrimp, but I doubt it. Problem algae is in a class by itself.

I am centering on problem algae because I saw your earlier thread about a black slime-like stuff. Hard to tell from the photo there, but it may be cyanobacteria. This is not an algae but a photosynthetic bacteria. It is caused by high organics in the presence of light.

Canyou post clearer photos of the tanks so we can see whatever this is?

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Attachments

• 16905857240077704565526162453575.jpg
    16905857240077704565526162453575.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 24
  • 16905857889206666912055339812415.jpg
    16905857889206666912055339812415.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 25
It looks like diatoms, brown algae. Does it easily come off with your fingertips? These photos do not suggest cyanobacteria, but it is still hard to see (for my eyes anyway, lol). There is a lot of algae on the tank walls. All this suggests you may need to do more maintenance. Water changes once a week, with 50-60% of the tank volume changed. Vacuum well into the substrate gravel. Keep the filter clean. And you may need to control the light, on for less time. Seven to eight hours maybe.

Does it smell musty?
If it wipes off in a sheet/ film, smells musty/ mouldy, and grows back in a few days, it's blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It loves nutrients, red light, slow water movement, low oxygen levels.

Reduce dry food going into the tank.
Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate for a few weeks.
Try to physically remove as much of it as you can each day.
Increase aeration and water movement.

If all else fails, try the following product.
It looks like diatoms, brown algae. Does it easily come off with your fingertips? These photos do not suggest cyanobacteria, but it is still hard to see (for my eyes anyway, lol). There is a lot of algae on the tank walls. All this suggests you may need to do more maintenance. Water changes once a week, with 5 0-60% of the tank volume changed. Vacuum well into the substrate gravel. Keep the filter clean. And you may need to control the light, on for less time. Seven to eight hours maybe.
Yes it does easily come off with just rubbing my fingers across it. Sorry I can't get any better pics I just have a cheep 20$ android 🤣 but the algae apears rather fusy and black or dark brown we do do regular 50-70% water changes every other week and scrub the algae before taking out the water.

🧐 looks like diatoms to me too. They're usually prolific in new set ups but go away eventually when things balance...for now though you should increase your every other week water change to once a week and just do some more physical maintenance

The picture of the brown stuff on the white mushroom things looks like Cyanobacteria (blue green algae).

I think it is clear that more maintenance is needed. I think one photo looks like diatoms, and if it does easily come off probably is, but the other could be cyanobacteria. Organic and light are the key to both. eekly water changes of 50-70%, good vacuum of the gravel, keeping the filter clean (the brown gunk is organic matter). Don't overfeed--many feed way too much, and what goes in will come out. Reduce the light. Ambient daylight can factor in too when it comes to light.

I'm thinking diatoms as well. I had it pretty bad on decor in a couple tanks for a while but adding live plants seemed to stop it the most.

Most reactions

Back