what is this stuff on my glass?

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I can’t seem to get this stuff to go away. I clean it every week when I do a water change but it always comes back. What is it? How can I fix it?

Attachments

• EBD2D349-4613-4A7F-B126-CF6A0103EA36.jpeg
    EBD2D349-4613-4A7F-B126-CF6A0103EA36.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 65263B02-147B-4098-83A1-11C71BF79B22.jpeg
    65263B02-147B-4098-83A1-11C71BF79B22.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 107
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20
I feed 3 times a day
3 times a day might be overkill.

It could be food that got stuck on the glass and molded. Have you tried to clean it off?

It could be a hydra infestation. Hydra is a relative to sea Anemones and traps food in a very similar fashion. They are usually in small colonies and preproduce by division. Hydra have what appear to have little hairs in a star pattern that they use to catch prey with, an they range in color from white to green. These little hairs are filled with a numbing poision and can penetrate a fishes scales if they are small enough.

It could be a hydra infestation. Hydra is a relative to sea Anemones and traps food in a very similar fashion. They are usually in small colonies and preproduce by division. Hydra have wat appear to have little hairs in a star pattern that they use to catch prey with, an they range in coulor from white to green. These little hairs are filled with a numbing poision and can penetrate a fishes scales if they are small enough.
So these can be dangerous? Up close they look like little trees. I’m going to start feeding 2 times a day and less than what I feed normally 6 days a week. On the 7th day I may fast or feed frozen to all my fish.

So these can be dangerous? Up close they look like little trees. I’m going to start feeding 2 times a day and less than what I feed normally 6 days a week. On the 7th day I may fast or feed frozen to all my fish.
A very helpful website: https://fishlab.com/aquarium-hydra/

Throughly read this and ask me if you have any questions.

Do you have a close up pic? It doesn't look like hydra to me. If it is hydra it is only dangerous to small shrimp and fry

This is what hydra looks like on the side of an aquarium
20200418_181038.jpg

It's not that
(Image courtesy Google)

Could be some type of algae. I have had algae that looks like that

Most reactions

Back