What is this strange thing in my aquarium

Fishlover1N

Reaction score
IMG_20240711_124521.jpg
It is about 2 inches long and very creepy.

way back about 40 years ago I picked up a nice piece of driftwood and brought it home and did everything I could to clean it including throwing it into boiling water. after a while in the aquarium I noticed I was missing neon tetras. came in to feed the fish and there on the driftwood was the full grown dragonfly larvae with two neons one in each claw held by their eyes. didn't take long to get rid of that pest and apparently it was the only one.

Wow , after reading this and doing some research I’ve discovered a new fear

They're only really a concern if you're a shrimp or a very small fish/fry! But nightmare fuel if you dream about a giant one, or that you've been "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" into your tank!

They and damselfly larvae most often make their way into our tanks via plants that have been grown outdoors, so some dragon/damselfly eggs end up coming in on a plant or two, then hatching in the tank, and doing what tiny predators do to survive.

Since those eggs after often laid in small groupings, if you find one nymph in your tank, don't panic, but do remove it, and scan around in case there's another couple in there too.

Most of the time, when you see them it's because something is not going well for them...

As they can easily live stealthy for months in a tank.

way back about 40 years ago I picked up a nice piece of driftwood and brought it home and did everything I could to clean it including throwing it into boiling water. after a while in the aquarium I noticed I was missing neon tetras. came in to feed the fish and there on the driftwood was the full grown dragonfly larvae with two neons one in each claw held by their eyes. didn't take long to get rid of that pest and apparently it was the only one.

Most of the time there are multiples eggs laid out, but if space and food is scarce, they will turn on each other and the "one" you find normally is the survivor of a total cannibalistic annihilation.

They will consume any prey they can overpower.

If at least they could eat bladder snails, that would make me happy ;)

I have been trying to catch it for the past week but its a real pain. Today I woke up to a half eaten endler 😥. So I have moved the remaining fish into a 5 gallon temporarily. Any ideas on how to get the larvae out without destroying my tank? Or will it just fly out on its own after a while?

I've had them get in a few times, though I have never had one of the big species in my tanks. We tend to talk about them like they are one insect, but they come in varying sizes. When I kayak, one lake can have multiple species to land on my boat.
I'm a big fan of these beasts, except in my tanks.

I flashlight them. Wait til the lights are off, and you can often catch them dozing. You may have to remove decor though.

they take about 6 months to turn into adults so hunt it down and kill it.

It is an interesting “beast” I can’t imagine it would be harder to catch than the fish, but I’ve never had one in a tank… don’t they climb around, using their legs, rather than swimming???
The flashlight trick sounds like it should work, or try using 2 nets…
I’d be tempted, to transfer it to a more appropriate tank or container, and watch it develop, which may require providing it with something to eat, rather than your fancier fish…

Or will it just fly out on its own after a while?

Some Dragonfly species, like the Wandering Glider, can develop from egg to adult in as little as four weeks.

While others, like the Golden-Ringed Dragonfly, can take up to eight years.

I think, I wouldn't take the chance to wait.

You've listed your location as Saturn, so we can't be precise helping except to say you shouldn't let Sasquatches bathe in the tank until you've caught them. Worldwide there are about 7000 species, all different. Colin's experience in Australia will be different from experiences and studies in Canada...

Most reactions

Back