What Is This Little Guy?

Chris and Alana

Reaction score
I bought this little fellow from my local pets at home, who didnt know what he was (funny how they know the price though) so I bought him as I have not seen one before. I have searched the internet looking to ID this guy but have had no luck. He seems to be some sort of synodontis but Im not sure. If anyone has some info please let me know. Heres a pic:-

randomstuff086-1.jpg

I bought this little fellow from my local pets at home, who didnt know what he was (funny how they know the price though) so I bought him as I have not seen one before. I have searched the internet looking to ID this guy but have had no luck. He seems to be some sort of synodontis but Im not sure. If anyone has some info please let me know. Heres a pic:-

randomstuff086-1.jpg
Some sort of Loach isn't he?

Whatever he is he's gorgeous.

Have a look on here to see if you can ID him. http://www.loaches.com/

Looks like some kind of corydora, im not 100% sure though. Give it a google see if you can find a match. :good:

Mike

Some sort of Loach isn't he?

Whatever he is he's gorgeous.

Have a look on here to see if you can ID him. [URL="http://www.loaches.com/"]http://www.loaches.com/[/URL]

I dont think he is a loach, too many fins and the wrong type of mouth. I have 4 clown loach, 2 polk-a-dot, 1 skunk and 2 chain loaches and he doesnt look the same shape as them. He is more like some sort of catfish.

He is a very pretty little fellow though, the pic does not do him justice. He is black with yellow stripes and his head has some sort of wierd pattern, it looks like someone has put a yellow tribal tattoo on his face, lol. His eye's also look blue when in the light.

definitely not a loach or cory. almost certainly a syno. likely to be a hybrid but if you are really lucky then synodontis ornatipinnis.

i would be pushed more towards the synodontis family, definitely not a loach and definitely not a corydora.
as said take a look on planet catfish, thats your best bet, may take a while as its a relatively large family of catfish but worth it if you want a true id.
if you cant find a match then as there is quite a few hybrid synodontis about then that is a possibility and in which case you would never get a definite id maybe just peoples guesses on which two species it is, either way its very attractive.
good luck
David

Just they are not so common, you tend to see eupterus or nigriventis sold regularly, angelicus somewhat less so but I've never seen an ornatipinnis, so possibly a much more sought after fish. certainly a beauty :)

looks to be a good match, slight difference in the lines on the flanks but variations in patterning and color in catfish especially are very common.
the luck depends on how much you payed for it!
very nice

thanks for the help, much appriciated. I am about to google him now to try and find some info about him but do any of you guy's know how big he will get, if he needs any special requirment ect? oh. . I dont know how much these would normally cost but pets at home charged me £10 for him, is that about right?

I reckon £10 is a fair, even cheap price if it is an ornatipinnis. Planet Catfish says they get quite big - 40cm or so! Of course if it is a hybrid then anything is possible... still probably a fair price.

Most reactions

Back