What is this fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
what is this fish? I bought kuhlii loaches today and found out this fish in the bag with it.( i asked the seller but they dont know)

Attachments

• B697772B-DAB7-460E-A161-71E8C4B650BF.jpeg
    B697772B-DAB7-460E-A161-71E8C4B650BF.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 95
  • B1AC251D-0B4D-4430-80CB-F676CBCEA456.jpeg
    B1AC251D-0B4D-4430-80CB-F676CBCEA456.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 130
Might be a Splashing Tetra (Copiena or Copella sp)

Put it ina tank with lots of plants and see what it looks like ina few days.

Looks like a White Cloud Mountain Minnow too. If it is, they need to be kept in groups of at last 6.

Looks like a White Cloud Mountain Minnow too. If it is, they need to be kept in groups of at last 6.
Just looked again and it is definitely a white cloud. It’s a male because of the red lips. Get 5 more to go with it.

Well either way. if it is a minnow or tetra they need to be in groups of 6 or more. Looking on line I have to agree with Colin_T it's a splashing tetra.

Hard to tell in the bag. Here’s a pic of be my Golden White Clouds. Hard to get a good pic.
8490341D-EF91-4C8D-AF83-2831B5EDA4E2.jpeg

Here is a splashing tetra and a white mountain minnow. I hope this helps decide what it is.

Attachments

• white-cloud-mountain-minnow.jpg
    white-cloud-mountain-minnow.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 97
  • splashing tetra.jpg
    splashing tetra.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 79
It is without question a member of the family Lebiasinidae which includes the Subfamily Pyrrhulininae. It could possibly be a species in the genus Pyrrhulina but I suspect Colin is closer with the genus Copella. The fish is obviously under severe stress and colours are not reliable, so I won't go further. "Splashing Tetra" is one common name for a species or two in this genus and this might well be one of them.

They are characins and thus must have a group; males can be feisty so more than the often-suggesteed "six" is best, I like to go with 7-11 depending upon space. They tend to remain close to the surface. Some can get a bit nippy of any fish venturing into their space, but the damage done is usually mild and not a concern. But it would not be wise to have them in with permanent surface fish like hatchetfish for example, or some of the very closely related pencilfiish (genus Nannostomus, also the Family Lebasinidae, Subfamily Pyrrhulininae).

Most reactions

Back