What Is This Fish?

gracie

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am wondering if you could tell me what sort of fish this is. The pic is blurry but i hope you can help. I bought some fish at the pet shop (im in Brisbane, Australia) and some plants, to cut a long story short this fish was actually in the bag that the plants were in and had been sitting on the desk for a couple of hours and obviously survived in a tiny bit of water that the plants were in. I only noticed him when i tipped the plants out to sort them and realised he was still alive. Currently he is in the tank with my silver sharks, silver dollars and assorted because i panicked and put him in there. I would love to know what he is. He is tiny about the size of a tetra but i cant find any picture that looks like him..Thanks in advance
is.php

He looks like a tetra to me, but I couldn't tell you what type. There is a section you can post this in that might give you better luck : "Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids"

Has he got an adipose fin (between the dorsal and the tail)?
He doesnt seem to have a adipose fin but im no expert. Here is another pic which is slightly less fuzzy. They are the hardest things to take pics of :)
is.php

Has he got an adipose fin (between the dorsal and the tail)?
He doesnt seem to have a adipose fin but im no expert. Here is another pic which is slightly less fuzzy. They are the hardest things to take pics of :)
is.php
O.k... Had a close look. he has a small fin on his back towards his head end and then a larger fin directly behind that one is that his adipose fin?

Not a great picture but from that I would say it could be either Hypseleotris Tohizonae or Hypseleotris Gunentheri both members of the Gobiidae family.

An adipose fin is small, usually fleshy and lies between the dorsal fin, (the big fin on the back), and the tail. If your fish has a small fin in front of the main fin on the back, then it is not an adipose fin, rather it would be called a predorsal fin.

The presence of a predorsal precludes the fish being a cyprinid or characin.

Hypseleotris species are not members of the Gobiidae family, rather the closely related Eleotridae family, the "sleepers". Both have the dorsal fin arrangement of the mystery fish. The easiest way to tell between these families id the sucker formed from the fused pelvic fins, if the fish has a sucker it is of the Gobiidae, otherwise Eleotridae.

Both these families are largely bottom living fish, and the pictured fish does not appear to be. Another order with two dorsals is the Atheriniformes, or Rainbow fish. These are open water swimmers.

Really, we need a better picture. Alternatively, you could go back to the shop and see what was in the tank where the plants came from!

It could easily (and most likely) be very much a baby - if it sneaked into the plant area as an egg sticking to one of the plants.
This would make it really tricky to recognise the species, and am not convinced you could get a 100% definite answer until it was older.
Am not trying to be cheeky, but adipose fins are teeny in a number of tetra species, and in fry would be really easy to miss - is this possible?

Am not trying to be cheeky, but adipose fins are teeny in a number of tetra species, and in fry would be really easy to miss - is this possible?
There are some characin species which do not have an adipose fin at all, so it's presence strongly suggests a characin, it's absence does not refute the suggestion.

There are, however, no characins with a Predorsal fin as the OP's fish has.

Hypseleotris species are not members of the Gobiidae family, rather the closely related Eleotridae family, the "sleepers". Both have the dorsal fin arrangement of the mystery fish. The easiest way to tell between these families id the sucker formed from the fused pelvic fins, if the fish has a sucker it is of the Gobiidae, otherwise Eleotridae.

It was my understanding that allthough the Hypseleotris species are members of the Eleotrinae (sleeper gobies) family some class them as a family in their own right Eleotridae and others still class them as a subfamily of the Gobiidae species along with Butinae also sleeper gobies.

Gracie does your fish resemble any of these:

Hypseleotris

Craterocephalus

it is hard to tell because of the poor quality of the picture

It was my understanding that allthough the Hypseleotris species are members of the Eleotrinae (sleeper gobies) family some class them as a family in their own right Eleotridae and others still class them as a subfamily of the Gobiidae species along with Butinae also sleeper gobies.

Gracie does your fish resemble any of these:

Hypseleotris

Craterocephalus

I would like to thank everyone who has tried to solve the mystery.
My fish very much resembles the one in the picture that i've attached, but mine looks like a juvenile. I am going to the fish shop today to see if they have anything similar for sale, other then that i will have to wait until he grows. Thankyou all again..
craterocephalus_stercusmuscarum.jpg
Craterocephalus Stercusmuscarum-fly-speckled hardyhead

Most reactions

Back