What Is This Fish Please?

mardyass

Reaction score
Had this fish a few weeks now,it was the only one they had at the aquatic place and was in a tank on its own,they didnt know what it was and called another guy in to try and determine what species it is but he didnt know either,I got it purely for its size (about 5 and a half inches) as it lives happily with my oscars,it does have a row of teeth
I've hunted the net to try and find out exactly what it is,wondered if it was some sort of malawi but not so sure

Any ideas????

fish001.jpg

Its a jack dempsey cichlid, they come from Central America. They can reach 8" or so and are aggressive. Judging by the gill pattern I will say its a male jack dempsey.

What size tank is he in with your oscar out of interest.

Its a jack dempsey cichlid, they come from Central America. They can reach 8" or so and are aggressive. Judging by the gill pattern I will say its a male jack dempsey.

thankyou he is in a 360litre tank and swims around with the oscar

Would anyone else be rather worried anout an LFS who didn't know what a Jack Dempsey was and who sold it on without knowing?

I'd find another aquatic store to deal with tbh.

Agreed 100% I used to own a female.... :good:

What are the tank measurments as it sounds to small....when you say oscars how many? watch for aggro in a small tank :crazy:

Would anyone else be rather worried anout an LFS who didn't know what a Jack Dempsey was and who sold it on without knowing?

Problem is you will find lot's of people open fish shop's as it's an exstention of there fish room basically......So they tend to deal in what is safe for them where the comfort zone is.......This is perfectly normal....Then you have to remember people get fish even if from other source's..Discover they grow to big, can't be bother to rehome them, so head down to the lfs with a bucket and say please take this of my hands.....Suddenly the shop owner has a fish he may not know anything about..... :good: .
sorry but if you can't find info on that fish from the owner, ask to take a photo then armed with that pic/this web and google surely it could get an i/d before you buy it......

Agreed 100% I used to own a female.... :good:

What are the tank measurments as it sounds to small....when you say oscars how many? watch for aggro in a small tank :crazy:

Problem is you will find lot's of people open fish shop's as it's an exstention of there fish room basically......So they tend to deal in what is safe for them where the comfort zone is.......This is perfectly normal....Then you have to remember people get fish even if from other source's..Discover they grow to big, can't be bother to rehome them, so head down to the lfs with a bucket and say please take this of my hands.....Suddenly the shop owner has a fish he may not know anything about..... :good: .
sorry but if you can't find info on that fish from the owner, ask to take a photo then armed with that pic/this web and google surely it could get an i/d before you buy it......
2 oscars and the jack fish,the tank is a large corner unit

2 oscars and the jack fish,the tank is a large corner unit

The tanksize is definitely too small for long term, one Oscar and a JD might work in a 95G but there are no real guarantees,
ok thankyou I will probably move the jack to my other tank and leave the oscars as they are

sorry should of said that with 2 Oscars you will eventually have problems, 75G is the general suggested size for just one,

Most reactions

Back