What is this and what's wrong with it?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hoping this is the right place to post this. I got several strands of this plant from the LFS a few weeks ago. They told me the name and I promptly forgot. I did have them inserted into the substrate, but eventually some came out. The ends in the substrate are generally turning brown, so not sure they should be that way, but that's how they had them in the store.

It grew right away, but now it's wilting...and still seems to be growing? I can't tell what's wrong. Any idea what it is? Also, should I have it inserted in the substrate or let it float?

Anyway, I use the tabs to fertilize the substrate, but have not been using anything in the water. Today I started fertilizing the water with Seachem Flourish. I've also used Flourish Excel some as well- once or twice a week when I do a bigger water change (30%-40%).

I change water every other day - about 15-20% and a couple of times a week I do double that.
Water parameters are
PH 6.0
ammonia:0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
GH: 53
KH: 17

WiltingPlant.jpg

Looks like Bacopa monniera to me. Mine seems to like growing as a floater, though it will root if you coax it a bit. In my experience it grows like a weed for a few months then gradually melts away...I suspect it might just be a short-lived plant.

I think you're right. I checked around the "interwebs" and it seems this is a common problem. Maybe adjusting to the water. It does keep growing, so I'm hopeful. I do need to get in and make sure I replant what has come out, though. Knock on wood....

thanks for the help!

UPDATE: Ok- I took most of them out, cleaned them up a bit and replanted. I also added a couple of strategically placed tabs (Seachem flourish this time- I think the others I used were API- not sure if there's a difference, but Seachem tends to be good stuff).

I will watch for a week or so and hopefully they'll continue growing and stop rotting toward the bottom.

MovedPlants1.jpg
MovedPlants2.jpg

Most reactions

Back