What Is This And What Would Go With It?

myfisheatyours

Reaction score
ok, when i bought this loach i misread it for something else, but there was only one tag saying what it was. It said tiger something but it didn't say loach and there was another type of fish in there too so I'm assuming it was the other type, but i had my eye on this type of fish. they don't grow too big and it's a good size for my 10 gallon...my needlefish dies, i dunno how but i found it curled up backwards on the filter, i took it off and it was breathing so for the moment i thought it was just in stress, then i come home form school and it died. Anyways, I've had this fish for about 2 months now, hasn't gotten too much bigger it's about 2.5 inches and fits in my tank pretty well, but i still dunno what it is, can anyone tell me what it is and what would go with it? I put my bro's betta in there once and it kept chasing the betta so what other type of fish do you recommend me put in there with it, cuz i want more fish.
this is a photo with a light shining on it to get the whole color/stripe thing down
loach2.jpg

and this is a nightvision shot to get a better view on the fish
loach1.jpg

You didnt misread the tag that looks very much like a tiger botia - Botia Helodes. A better picture showing all of its body would aid definate id but I would be certain its a tiger botia.

They can grow in excess of 8" and can be very boisterous so they should really be kept with hardy fish of about the same size.

Yup i would say Tiger Botia as well... tho urs look somewhat skinny...maybe a lady tiger botia on a diet?

They are sold here in Poznan with the bigger cichlids, so im guessing they get quite aggressive.

HTH

Definately Tiger botia, mean little sods that will push around and kill any weaker fish.

stop dissing tiger loaches
I have three and they are fine,
(provided you have clowns that are larger than them :lol:)

I also think it is Botia helodes, a Tiger Botia.

This is a 200mm/8" fish well kept and a good bit parger in the wild. It is certainly semi-aggressive but is fine in suitable quarters. Suitable quarters being a tank large enough to hold a group of these fish. Any naturally shoaling and gregarious fish, if kept singly, can show any kind of behaviour ranging from hiding and slowly fading away to an out and out killer.

I honestly don't think a 10 is suitable. I agree with an earlier poster, it looks a bit thin to me. What are you feeding it?

bunch of fish food pebels and making sure the drop on the ground in front of it I feed it about every other day. 8 inches eh? wow I saw some that were supposedly fully grown, they weren't too big, maybe an inch or so larger then mine.

Most reactions

Back