What Is The Biggest.....

debbie888

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What is the biggest drop you had from a livebearer? Know you can never count them all, but at a guess?

My black molly yesterday, had about 50...and today my dalmation molly dropped about 70....and is still dropping now !!!

What's the most you had? :)

Thats an average range for those guys, even in the 100s. Its been so long I cant remember though, sorry.
Congrats on the babies!

Aww thanks...well I didn't have either in a trap, just in the tank, so reckon there would have been quite a few more, but unfortunately I cannot sit at the tank 24/7 to wait to catch every single one, think I have done pretty well though...I am pleased anyway as I love babies, just so damn cute :wub:

What is the biggest drop you had from a livebearer? Know you can never count them all, but at a guess?

My black molly yesterday, had about 50...and today my dalmation molly dropped about 70....and is still dropping now !!!

Guppy - 86 (think it was, not long back) is the biggest i had..

Platy - had one years back drop 90+

Swrodtail - 50 ish

Molly - had a balloon drop around 80

Looks like I better start clearing them tanks sharpish !! :shifty: :lol:

big female black molly, 219
she was in a tank on her own with white gravel and bright green plants. There were little black things moving all over the place.

:lol: :lol: Becca.....yeah I would do...lots of babies coming your way!

xx

big female black molly, 219
she was in a tank on her own with white gravel and bright green plants. There were little black things moving all over the place.

OMG! That's amazing...

My platy threw 85 last year. The LFS has a supplier that ships mollies one to a bag as most don't travel too well - apparently they opened a bag and there were over 150 fry in it.

Somebody on Aquabid is selling swordtails that supposedly get to 8-9 inches (male, including sword). Presumably those would have more fry than the smaller varieties we keep. BTW, I want one... LOL

:lol: :lol: Becca.....yeah I would do...lots of babies coming your way!

xx

And it all comes together now, :rolleyes:

Somebody on Aquabid is selling swordtails that supposedly get to 8-9 inches (male, including sword). Presumably those would have more fry than the smaller varieties we keep. BTW, I want one... LOL
big male swordtails aren't that uncommon. Many people keep swords in ponds around here and the females end up 5inches and the males about 4inches (without tail). Some strains have really long filaments on the tail and these can often be longer than the fish's body. Don't get me wrong, they are still good size fish but chances are they will have long filaments and average sized bodies, which would look pretty awesome.

The bigger strains of swordtail might have more young per batch but it normally depends on the actual size of the female and how healthy she is. The females need to be well fed so they can develop lots of eggs. Then once they have a decent batch of eggs inside them, they fertilise them and it goes from there. A poorly fed female won't develop as many eggs and as such won't have as many young.

As a general rule older females have bigger batches but less often compared to younger females that have smaller batches more frequently.

congratulations debbs, i hope they are all doing fantastic for you, you did well to catch so many,,, being an old hag with bad eyesight i would never have got that many, there is 1 in my tank at the moment ,do you think i can catch the little bugger... not a hope in hells chance :lol: :blush:

Most reactions

Back