What Is The Best Way To Keep A Betta?

Charlieboy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 90L as my main tank with 1 male betta. I would like to have another betta but not sure what is the best way to house him as many people have different opinions. Is it best for them to be alone ? what size tank does 1 on his own need ? Are they better off with a few tank mates ? Do they need a heater/filter? My house has central heating. Only thing that i do know is that they like plants and a hidey hole. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 90L as my main tank with 1 male betta. I would like to have another betta but not sure what is the best way to house him as many people have different opinions. Is it best for them to be alone ? what size tank does 1 on his own need ? Are they better off with a few tank mates ? Do they need a heater/filter? My house has central heating. Only thing that i do know is that they like plants and a hidey hole. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yeah its better for him to be alone he will need a heater and a filter - some do not use filters if this is the case he will require water changes every day and a careful eye on his PH and nitrate etc.
Size of tank you could do with approx 3 gals but the more the better really.
they dont like tank mates you could put one otto in or a couple of shrimp but thats about it any other questions ask away!

If you want to keep more than one betta you could buy tank dividers and then divide up a larger tank into sections (e.g. a 2ft tank can be made into 2 betta palaces of 1ft each - 3 at a push).

They do need a heater, yes, at they are tropical fish. A filter is recommended (saves all those water changes every day) but they don't like a really strong water current so turn the filter output dial down so that it's not gushing out (if it has a spray bar, face this towards back of tank).

It's quite difficult to find compatible tank mates for bettas because they can start flaring at other fish that they feel threatened by (any nicely coloured fish or those with long finnage (like guppies) also they don't like fast swimmers as this stresses them). They seem to thrive happily when kept on their own in a tank that has some plants (real or silk) and a few hidey holes. I've heard some people had success with keeping African Dwarf Frogs with them or Ottos, but not tried it myself.

Regards, Athena

If you have a 90l then buy a divider and spilt the tank for two males if you want another. Just make sure that the fish can't squeeze through any possible gaps or jump over the top of the divide. You don't need to set up a separate tank when you have a 90L .

They are a tropical species so yes they need a heater. They are fish like any other, and will suffer the same as any other species if water quality deteriorates due to not having a filter ( which will provide a stable biological environment ) so yes, they need a filter.

Hi, thanks to you all there for the advice, very much appreciated. I dont really want to split the 90L as this is my main tank and has been running a while now and everyone seems happy enough in there . Also i would be scared stiff incase the both males got together at any point by accident, seen this is lfs (even though that was NO accident ) and it was not a pleasant sight! I just had the thought of another as I see so many on here having them in tanks of their own and they all seem so nice
Thanks again

I got my new boy !!! He is a very dark red crowntail with a small amount of blue. I think he is very young as he seems alot smaller that our veiltail that we have had for 2 months. Hes being very moody at the mo and seems to be sulking ! :unsure:

I got my new boy !!! He is a very dark red crowntail with a small amount of blue. I think he is very young as he seems alot smaller that our veiltail that we have had for 2 months. Hes being very moody at the mo and seems to be sulking ! :unsure:

He sounds lovely! Plus, looks like you're getting the guilt trip pretty early, :p I've had my new betta for less than a week, and today is his first fasting day... you would not believe the looks I get from him when I walk by his tank! :look:

What size tank did you put the new one in?

Im either getting the cold shoulder early or hes shy :lol: . He is hiding in his house and peeping out of the window! He is in a 17L tank.

I have tried to take pics ( when i can see him) but they are too dark, I will try again soon !

Okay, I took some of him this morning. They aren't very good because my camera is rubbish but they show his colours well
SDC11117.jpg

SDC11114.jpg

I will try to get more of him but as soon as he sees me he goes in to his house!

He is on his own, but I am thinking of getting him something tiny for a tank mate, because he seems lonely. I was thinking 2 Panda Corys, but it is 17l and wondered if it might be slightly overcrowded.....

You could try something like cherry shrimp, but again this is touch and go whether he will accept them, also they need good water conditions, as to the cories :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back