What is the best fish that will

Chilled Babe

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what the best fish is to buy that will eat snails. I have a 100 litre tank. At the moment I have 2 platies and 12 babies. Once my tank has cycled I plan to add

1 ram
1 betta
5 cardinal tetras
5 glowlight tetras.

I was told that a spotted cory (Agamyxis Pectinifrons) would be good for eating snails however I think they might grow too big for my tank.

What do you think?

How many of the species would I have to add?

When I bought my tank I asked for some pea gravel which they said they did not have but if I went to a DIY store and got pea gravel from them that it would be the same. I know that some bottom feeders might not like this. I notice that some of the stones are not round and smooth - ? is this a problem.

Yoyo or chain loaches are small loaches that will eat snails. A dwarf puffer would eat snails, but is incompatible with your community.

Chilled Babe said:
I was told that a spotted cory (Agamyxis Pectinifrons) would be good for eating snails however I think they might grow too big for my tank.
SPOTTED CORY?????? Thats a new one, they are usually called spotted raphaels or spotted talking catfish. The only thing they share with corys is that they are both catfish.

However you are wise not to add one to your tank, they need to be kept in groups and grow to 6" or more, they will also snack on small fish like tetras at night while the tetras sleep.
Like AA says one of the smaller botia species would do you best or you could try banjo catfish which can be efficient snail eaters but are very lazy.

Juggernaut22988 said:
Goldfish will eat anything!!!

snails in my tank were all eaten by my goldfish!
However, the goldfish might also eat your baby platies :unsure:
Not to mention that the goldfish would suffer in a tropical tank such as this one, as it needs cold water.

Most reactions

Back