What is a species?

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I see a lot of confusion in postings about breeds and species, and while the issues involved aren't easy, they can bear a quick look.

When you have one species of fish, dedicated breeders can select traits and 'fix' them - have them breed true to the chosen form for generations. A breed is a created form - a decision worked upon and refined, as in a tail type in a guppy, or a dumbo Betta. Breeds are all within the same species, as my ancient golden retriever is compared to my niece's Labrador. All breeds can produce babies with each other.

A species is a tough one. It has developed naturally, without planned human intervention. It has been shaped by its environment and by the potential mutations within its DNA. Scientists used to say a species could not hybridize with another species, but further learning has thrown that out the window. A lot of creatures can hybridize within their Genus (their larger group of relatives), but they simply never encounter them in the wild, because of barriers. And DNA research has shown almost identical fish to be different species, within the same region but unable to hybridize with fish that look just like them. The idea of species was developed with a religious worldview, that it was necessary to catalogue unchanging life.

The job of a taxonomist is seriously affected by our ability to look into DNA. As usual, we've learned we don't know much, and there are many many species as yet undescribed (formally named) or even discovered. There isn't a lot of funding for taxonomists to work, unless they are looking at commercially interesting fish.

Species usually have a barrier of sorts separating them from other species- feeding habits, watershed, isolation, temperature, changes in body shape for breeding, Sometimes, we get hybrids in nature, but for them to become species, you need them to become a stable breeding unit that reproduces itself. It happens, but more often than not, hybrids come and go, often where species that favour different temperatures, foods or water flow meet., Nothing is set in stone (even stone).

What does this have to do with us as aquarists? That's a matter of philosophy and engagement. A breeder should be informed. Someone just keeping fish and not breeding them may see this as a window for learning about nature, or may not want to be bothered. If you want a dog and the pet shop sells you a wolf, that matters. If you make a hybrid and sell it as a species, that matters if it is or becomes endangered, and someone running a conservation breeding program gets them.

Some aquarists see fish like Pokemon - they have to catch them all. It's an impossible job. And once you catch them, that's when stuff gets serious. Going back to nature to discover how they live, what they eat, what conditions they need - this info may let you keep them around for more than being something you collected on a shelf.

Last edited:
the domestic dog and the wolf used to be considered as seperate species, "canis familiaris" and "canis lupus. But now the dog is classed as a sub species of wolf the canis lupus familiaris
So is a dog a breed of wolf ? They can cross breed naturally.

This is an area in which I am interested since I breed a few plecos from Brazil. Perhaps one of the more interesting papers I have read on this was a genetic indication that L66 and L333 are likely the same species. It drew some other conclusions that are likely invalid at this time.

Cardoso, AL, HLS Carvalho, TCM Benathar, SMG Serrão, CY Nagamachi, JP Pieczarka, LM de Sousa, JS Ready & RCR Noronha, 2016. Integrated cytogenetic and mitochondrial DNA analyses indicate that two different phenotypes of Hypancistrus (L066 and L333) belong to the same species. Zebrafish doi:10.1089/zeb.2015.1213.

Abstract

The diversity of Hypancistrus species in the Xingu River is remarkable and the variation in color morphs represents a real challenge to taxonomists to delimit species boundaries. One of the most recognizable Hypancistrus complexes is the worm-lined species, known in the aquarium trade as King Tiger Plec in English, Hypancistrus “pão” in Portuguese or under the L-numbers L066 and L333 that represent two melanic pigment pattern phenotypes. To assess the identity of these two phenotypes, we described their karyotypes and sequenced part of the mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I gene (DNA barcode). These fishes have 52 chromosomes (40 meta-submetacentric and 12 subtelo-acrocentric) and a strong heteromorphism in chromosome pair 21 was observed, which does not correlate with the two phenotypes or sex. DNA barcodes separated the samples analyzed from Hypancistrus zebra and other publicly available sequences of Loricariidae showing no divergence between the two phenotypes. The data set indicates that worm-lined Hypancistrus from the Xingu form a single species with clear chromosomal and melanic pigment pattern polymorphisms.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=297371&hilit=66+333#p297371

I was introduced to the above on Planetcatfish. One reason I love that site is the number of scientists who are members. It lets me get information from the "pleco's" mouth (to bend a phrase).

the domestic dog and the wolf used to be considered as seperate species, "canis familiaris" and "canis lupus. But now the dog is classed as a sub species of wolf the canis lupus familiaris
So is a dog a breed of wolf ? They can cross breed naturally.
If we follow the basic idea a breed is created, then a dog is apparently a selectively bred form of wolf. That's what that %$%#$ chihuahua up the road has been try to yell to me for all this time...

Another issue is that taxonomists are human, and all human activities have their disagreements and camps. There are 'lumpers', who tend to put different populations and closely related forms into one species, and 'splitters' who see more species diversity. The pendulum swings back and forth between the two, although DNA studies have really opened the doors.

I think it all matters because we're human too, and humans tend to want to know stuff, and want to learn. Where one species ends and another begins can keep you scratching your head for a lifetime.

Chihuahuas are not related to wolves. Apparently they evolved from a completely different species of dog. But all other domesticated dogs are related to the wolf. There are other types of dog that are unrelated too. The African painted dog, the Asian wild dog and the dingo, which came from the Asian wild dog.

Chihuahuas are not related to wolves. Apparently they evolved from a completely different species of dog. But all other domesticated dogs are related to the wolf. There are other types of dog that are unrelated too. The African painted dog, the Asian wild dog and the dingo, which came from the Asian wild dog.
I think it's best if I cancel my plan to put dogs in my tanks, and stick to fish.

Most reactions

Back