What guppies are high in demand?

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas of what guppy strains are high in demand I’m thinking koi guppies or dumbo guppy’s I need ideas though thanks.

The other issue is that since quality guppies can be hard to find, a lot of independent stores work with local breeders, and every breeder has favourites or specialties. What Jane doe is breeding where you live can be different from what John Doe breeds around here. Once you escape the world of sickly farmed guppies and start looking at what skilled local people are producing, different things can be in demand even in different stores in the same town (in those rare areas where there are independent stores).

The other issue is that since quality guppies can be hard to find, a lot of independent stores work with local breeders, and every breeder has favourites or specialties. What Jane doe is breeding where you live can be different from what John Doe breeds around here. Once you escape the world of sickly farmed guppies and start looking at what skilled local people are producing, different things can be in demand even in different stores in the same town (in those rare areas where there are independent stores).
Yeah one of the things I wanted to focus before selling was quality, luckily though when I was talking to my lfs they don’t have any local breeders that supply there guppy/Endlers and they buy them wholesale so I’m hoping to be there first I’m just scared that something might happen because I would hate to ruin the relationship and I’m also getting a good deal they sell male guppy/Endler for 4$ I’m getting 2$ for males and 1$ for females they also sell Shrimp which Im interested in but that’s for a later time.

Guppies that are high in demand are mostly the strains that are shown at shows. For sure there are certain qualitative guppy strains that are available through retail. But most aren't. In such a case, you should be seeking for a private breeder. There are online stores that sell quppies of show quality but not all online stores breed those guppies themselves. And to have their profit included, they increase the price way more than if you would buy them from a private breeder. Although, there are private breeders who only see dollar signs and will keep the price high as well.

So I actually wrote on another post about guppies just a few minutes ago, but my suggestion for you for not only getting high-grade guppies, but having fun with it too is to make your own strain. Here is the exact copy of what I posted:

For my method, you buy or take a male and a female guppy with a characteristic that you like. A characteristic can be something like a pattern, a color, a tail shape, etc. Then you breed them and raise the fry together until they’re about 3 to 4 weeks old.

Then, you want to start separating them. You want to separate the males and females [the best way to tell them apart is their dorsal fin] do you want to check every day to make sure that you have separated every single male and female.This is crucial so that the females don’t get pregnant with males that you reject [not showing your characteristic]. Then, you raise them up till you’re sure they are mature, which is around three months.
Once you think they are mature, take the mail that shows the characteristic that you’d like the most, and cross him with one of his sisters that shows the trait also and at the same time should have a good round belly.

You breed them and then you raise up those fry. Now it is time to add new blood. I like to think of this as a time to add a new characteristic and make any adjustments that you would like.

Keep the female from the same blood as before, and buy or take a new male that is not related to the female guppy that you have selected.
Cross them and repeat. I like to do this for 6 to 8 generations and sometimes I even do it for up to 12.

Once you’ve reached the point where you think you have perfected your characteristic, put the guppies that you have perfected in a main tank, such as a 20 gallon or more, so they can go crazy. you can take out any of the odd ones that you want to reject and my preferred way of doing it is not to kill the rejects but instead to go and give them back to a fish store as a donation. that way, they can hopefully live a happy life with someone else who may or may not wanted to breed that strain that you have by mistake created.

This selective breeding process is a similar process to line breeding, and it requires a lot of tanks and effort. But above all, it requires a buttload of patience.

A few things to note:
- The females you select MUST be virgin
- Once you to start do not give up
- Once the female is pregnant, separate her from the male to reduce stress on her, and the fry

Here are some images if that was confusing:
E74FC5D3-E89C-4D76-B467-8F88D03AB262.jpeg

73BE029A-5327-4E93-A286-00E2A86D1611.jpeg

2F5F9DF8-64E5-43A4-861B-E99EF6A02B9F.jpeg

What the post above says is that if you plan to sell guppies, remember the skills you are competing against. It isn't a question of buying a pair and making money. You can't compete pricewise with the Asian farms. You can try to produce better fish and compete that way, but it ain't simple.

What the post above says is that if you plan to sell guppies, remember the skills you are competing against. It isn't a question of buying a pair and making money. You can't compete pricewise with the Asian farms. You can try to produce better fish and compete that way, but it ain't simple.
For sure… but the original post was what guppies were high grade, not looking to sell high grade guppies.

Most reactions

Back